Montavista linux NFS mount and configuration

Hello, I have an embedded ARM linux machine running montavista linux that is using uboot to load the kernel over TFTP and mounting the root file system via NFS.

Occasionally when booting I will get the kernel over TFTP, but it will fail to mount the filesystem. It will say something like timeout while connecting to NFS and then say OK like it connected three or four times before saying the NFS connection timed out again. Sometimes I will come back to the machine and it will actually have mounted the filesystem and work correctly for a small amount of time before the shell freezes and a restart leads to the same issue.

console said:
nfs: server 192.168.90.255 not responding, still trying
nfs: server 192.168.90.255 OK

The NFS server is running and listening, the uboot settings on the embedded machine are 100% correct. The only issue that may complicate things is that the ubuntu server hosting tftp and NFS is running in VMware on windows 7.

Another issue, I've never really used montavista and would like to change a few things I dont like about it's default configuration. By default there is no root password and telnet is running. (allowing a root login without a password) SSH is not installed.

Afaik there isnt a package management system for this OS and it uses some sort of target configuration tool that I cant find. I try doing passwd root to set a password, but it still doesnt prompt for a password on login. I'd also like to install GDB on the embedded machine so I dont need to mess with remote debugging, but again I dont know how to do so on this particular version of linux.

Last edited:
Back