Monoprice Premium 1/8" Cables @_@

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=5576&seq=1&format=2

:eek::confused::cool:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the fact that it uses two cables mean that it eliminates crosstalk that regular TRS Stereo cables are susceptible to? Awesome -=^_^=-

Seriously, I'm filling up my cart to justify the shipping right now and I can't wait to try these out :). My car is going to use one for sure as primary for the Zune, and secondary for the iPod, so I'll be very pleased.

I have an AudioTechnica ATH-AD500, would it be possible to re-cable its 10' single cable with 6' of this stuff instead? I think it would be really slick :cool:.

Last edited:
As long as that cable has four conductors, then you can recable your headphones with them.

Let's hope that that cable is the very flexible one like my mini-to-RCA. I have the RCA-RCA cable from them and it's stiff as hell.

Would it have an audible effect in terms of SQ and interference/crosstalk?

If you want to be safe, you can go with the Mogami W2893 (26 AWG) or W2534 (24 AWG). The twisting and distance of the conductors is what reduces crosstalk.

Thicker can be better, and 26 AWG is bigger than most stock headphone cables. You don't want to go too thick like 22 AWG since it makes the cable bulky. Interference is taken care of by the copper shield.

So having one cable per channel won't help crosstalk and other sound quality factors at all? :confused: I always thought that something like that would help it alot. I wonder why...

Wow, I just measured 15mm on a ruler, the same size as 22 AWG cable, and I see what you mean. That's way too heavy-duty for my needs, forget that. I'll look up the 26 AWG Mogami and post back. Thanks a bunch.

So having one cable per channel won't help crosstalk and other sound quality factors at all? :confused: I always thought that something like that would help it alot. I wonder why...
It depends on how the cable is designed. Most already have shielding built in to deal with that.

22 AWG refers to the individual conductors, not the overall cable thickness. 22 AWG is 0.64mm, and 26 AWG is 0.4mm. The jacket surrounding the individual conductors will be slightly bigger.

If you're working with a 1/8" plug, then you should work with the 26AWG cable since it'll fit a regular Neutrik NYS231 plug fine. Note that it'll be very hard to work with since everything is small. The 26 AWG is hard to strip without cutting into the copper. If you want an easier time, you can work with that Monoprice cable and a 1/4" plug. Or better yet, just buy prebuilt cables on Monoprice, cut them up, solder the cables together, and heatshrink them. No need to order from two different sources.

You'll find a multimeter handy too, so you don't wire the channels incorrectly, channels out of phase, getting the correct wire, etc.

Back