Monoprice IPS

bencho

2[H]4U
Has anyone done full reviews on the Monoprice panels?
Was going to spring for the VP2770... but a friend got one of the Monoprice ones and its honestly not that bad.

There is a new super slim one for cheap!

Is this panel the same as the U2713hm??
If so, basically the same thing except glossy right?
Would I be able to just calibrate it to get better colours?

The new 27" Monoprice is essentially the exact same monitor as the two Korean displays below. The Achieva has a few extra inputs and the Crossover a different stand but the panels are the same. Just different brand names. IMO get the Monoprice due to a more known reliable return policy. I assume these are the same panel as the Dell although the Dell is more matte and none of them can be OCed above 60hz. with their existing PCB`s. These have an anti glare glass integration to reduce reflections.

1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA...5086?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20d33ed9fe

2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-B...8588?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1e7b8ba68c

3. Monoprice : http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1130704&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Regards, :)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^If they're essentially the same as the Shimian and Crossover (I had heard this too) then wouldn't that mean that they contain LG panels rather than Dell ones?

^If they're essentially the same as the Shimian and Crossover (I had heard this too) then wouldn't that mean that they contain LG panels rather than Dell ones?

The Dell also uses the same LG panel. As does the VP2770.

The difference comes in quality control, construction, etc. With the monoprice or the koreans, don't expect to get a problem-free monitor (unless you're super lucky). With the Dell and Viewsonic, you can get problem-free panels.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't actually know that Dell got their IPS panels from LG. I knew the same panels were in Apple Cinema Displays, but for some reason thought the Ultrasharp came with panels from another supplier.

Little did I know that IPS was effectively an LG technology

Uhhhh.... there hasn't been a single "problem-free" panel to date. The VP2770 is currently like $750 and the Monoprice is $430. If it's the same panel from crossover, shimian, dell, and vp2770, why does EVERYONE have some level of bleed or something?

DAMN CALIFORNIA TAX. Moved from NYC to here. Closer to the tech, closer to their warehouses, pay insane amount of taxes on everything.

Uhhhh.... there hasn't been a single "problem-free" panel to date. The VP2770 is currently like $750 and the Monoprice is $430. If it's the same panel from crossover, shimian, dell, and vp2770, why does EVERYONE have some level of bleed or something?

DAMN CALIFORNIA TAX. Moved from NYC to here. Closer to the tech, closer to their warehouses, pay insane amount of taxes on everything.

IPS glow is characteristic of the technology. The light bleed is a result of QC standards. Think of it this way, most people won't even notice a little light bleed so why waste money on stricter quality control testing? Same goes for dead/stuck pixels.

Now based on my personal experiences, I would say that despite using the same panel the VP2770 is better than the U2713HM because either Viewsonic has tighter quality control or the panel is somehow better attached to the body to minimize light bleed. The little light bleed that most Viewsonics have is also unacceptable to me for a $700 monitor, but again most people would be ok with it (take a look at the Amazon reviews for it or even for the Dell as a reference).

I'm actually considering giving the 30" Monoprice ($800) a shot. Though I'm very hesitant to pay that much for the U3011s panel...I can't stand heavy AG coating or heat from big CCFLs.

I bought the 27" slim panel with DVI-D last week and have been using it for almost a week now. I was lucky enough to not have any dead/stuck pixels. Backlight bleeding is very strong especially on a black background, but for $350 after 10% promo code, I cannot complain. I would love to have a similar panel with less backlight bleed, but my wallet will not allow it. If price is the bottom line, then the monoprice monitors are for you.

Back