• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monitors + Subwoofer

hi_fi82

n00b
Joined
Jul 30, 2009
Messages
22
I am planning to purchase a Dayton ES8 (good sub?) to compliment my Swans D1080

I know that I can run a headphone to rca plug to the line-in and a double-sided rca from the line-out to the master speaker for the computer hook-up.

BUT, how can I hook-up a dvd player to the sub?

Would I plug-in a dvd player's audio directly to the subwoofer's line-in and keep the swans at line-out?
 
IMO, it's a terrible sub. But that's me.

As far as I know, you can't hook up a player to a sub.
 
You should use something with a dedicated sub woofer output.

If you are using a computer, a multi channel sound card should work.

Hooking the sub woofer directly up to the line level output of a DVD player probably isn't the best plan, you need something that does some bass management (in other words, sends the LFE track to the sub and not just full range audio), this typically comes in the form of an AV Receiver, especially when you are talking about watching DVDs (as seems to be indicated in your post).

Perhaps you should look at this a different way.

1. What are you using this audio setup for?
2. What equipment do you already own?
3. How much $ do you want to spend?
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
IMO, it's a terrible sub. But that's me.

As far as I know, you can't hook up a player to a sub.

I don't understand...why cant I just feed the audio cable from the dvd player to the line-in on the sub and use the line-outs for the monitors since other people are connecting their computers 3.5 mm to rca directly to their subs line-in.
 
IMO, it's a terrible sub. But that's me.

As far as I know, you can't hook up a player to a sub.

How can you call it terrible. It's designed by Dr. Hsu himself. It has a moderately big solid enclosure for a 8" and decent power and plays decently low enough. I don't think they can go wrong with that depending on how big the room is, plus its on sale for $99 shipped right now.
 
I don't feel budget subs are worth it. They don't go THAT much lower than a decent pair of bookshelves/floorstanders. The reason you get a sub in the first place is to hit the deep bass. If it doesn't reach that deep, then what's the point?
 
you can do the line in/high pass out, although it'll be limited to stereo, this doesn't matter, since the swans are stereo only, so just go for it, you aren't bothering with an LFE track or any such nonsense, because you aren't taking a 5.1 stream

if you have a DVD player with 6ch discrete outs, you could try that, although I doubt if the player will actually deal with re-positioning sound from 5.1 to 2.1

honestly its got line in/hpf out for a reason, just go with it, the sub will either have a variable xover, or a fixed xover at something like 80 or 100hz, either way, it'll work out just fine, and add some kick to your swans

and I see no great issue with the Dayton sub, inexpensive, small, will likely do what you're wanting, and PE has good customer service if you're not satisfied or things break
 
I've got nothing against the Dayton sub itself. I don't like budget subs in general.
 
I've got nothing against the Dayton sub itself. I don't like budget subs in general.

I got your point, most people just don't get as into their audio setup as you or I likely do, and I'm guessing that the Swans + Datyon setup will probably be more than good enough for his needs (and budget)
 
yeah it's not that bad for a budget sub, you can do alot worse for the price. I think it will work good with the swans, it will help with the midbass punch as well as go an octave lower, but not DEEP.

ofcourse it isn't as good as subs that cost a bit of money. I went DIY, best bang for buck when i built my sub 3 years ago. These days DIY isn't that much of a money saver anymore though. The only thing is that my sub is massive, i had to build it to mimic a tv stand, but it works well.
 
Budget subs are a good thing for speakers like 1080 with little below 100hz. So a pair of powered monitors for pc gaming can usually benefit from a sub.

Best "budget" sub? The only one that hits really hard is the TSC 250. The Speaker Company. It is not perfect but man does it punch for games and movies. Around $250 btw. That is good. Those Energy subs are a good deal too if you can get them on clearance. I think for around $150ish on audioadvisor?
 
Back
Top