• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monitors for X-Fi Titanium HD

Leopardi

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
217
I really want monitors for my PC instead of 2.1 sets, but I keep reading about hissing problems on all of the monitors I want to get. Would a krk RP5 hiss when plugged via RCA to my titanium HD? or should I get an Audioengine A5+, they must be tested for RCA use without hissing like creative speakers? (I had Gigaworks T40 and they didn't hiss)
 
i recommend you buy a beautiful Pioneer vintage amp and 2 bookshelf speakers in your price range.
 
The hiss appears to be a common theme among many studio monitors at any price range. I personally have an ikey-audio m606v2 and love it to bits compared to any computer speakers I've had before. I'm using RCA by the way. It also has a slight hiss detectable within two feet but is a non-issue once something is playing. I've had mine about a year now and I don't even think about it. The six inch woofers render big sound stage and is amazing that it makes me wonder how I thought my previous 2.1 were so awesome.
 
I use Behringer 8" models, they are as good as other overpriced monitors such as Rockrs and Yamahas. With the Behringers you get 8" for the price that everyone else wants for 5" monitors.

Monitors are different beasts, they will pick up electrical noise and static, so you need a ground loop isolator between the soundcard and the monitors, they are around 20-30 bucks and remove all hiss and noise.

I love my Behringers, I would never go back

1000
 
Maximum budget?

Adam A3x are the best overall compact monitors you can find around 600$ or maybe Swan m200MKiii which are also cheaper.
 
The hiss you hear has to do with a combination of the amount of gain they use in the pre-amp as well as the type of
DSP used to equalize the speakers.

All speakers hiss, this is natural. Even a $2,000 diamond tweeter on a high end speaker with a 10k+ preamp is going to hiss, it's the level that will vary based on gain/dsp factors among others. Also the efficiency (sensitivity) of the speakers will affect how loud the passive hiss is--extremely low efficient speakers (say 82db/1W) are going to mask hiss (plus line voltage hum) much better than say, 93db/1W speakers.

Studio monitors tend to be of 1) high sensitivity 2) gain boosted and 3) pretty heavily DSP'ed, so there is definitely room for some hiss shenanigans here.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top