• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Monitors for desktop music

digifred

n00b
Joined
Jul 8, 2010
Messages
50
I'm looking to spend around 300€ total for a pair of monitors. They will be used in a small room to play music from my desktop computer. I don't know if this will work but I'm thinking these options might suit me:
- Yamaha HS50M
- Adam A3X/Artist
Has anyone else any experience with any of those?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Big question: do they have to be active monitors?
Other big question: do you have a sound card/external DAC?
You can get a LOT for under 300 Euros (my dirty American keyboard doesn't have the euro sign). A thrift shop can net you a mighty fine, if old, amplifier (I found an abandoned very early 80's receiver in a dorm, fixed it up with new capacitors/resistors [no fuses, has circuit breakers] and it sounds great), drives my Polk Monitor 40's really nicely.
With that receiver, I also have the option of hooking other things up to it at the same time without going through the computer. And, if something goes wrong, everything is really easy to fix.
 
I tried the amp + speaker route but I'd rather have the amp integrated in the speaker. I don't know if this is releavant but I think monitors are also designed to be listened to closely which is my case.
 
For that price you should be able to get some Audioengine 5+'s. Amp is integrated and the sound is phenomenal.

If you are able to, find some you can hear before making your decision. I promise, you wont regret it.
 
i've listened to the Tannoy Reveal 501As and those Yamaha's I'd take the Reveal 501A anyday.. I really like those Tannoy's they sound just awesome I think.

i didn't care for the Yamaha monitors sound at all.
 
I tried the amp + speaker route but I'd rather have the amp integrated in the speaker. I don't know if this is releavant but I think monitors are also designed to be listened to closely which is my case.

You are absolutely right about monitors being designed for Near-Field Listening. Bookshelf speakers are good but they wont sound as good if they are directly in front of you on a small desk. I have M-Audio AV40's and i really like them. Recently i added a sub as well and now its even better.
 
I have added the Adam A3X / Artist 3 lines to my selection as they fit my needs and seem to get good reviews on the internet.
 
Back
Top