Monitors: By far the most neglected component

1000

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
426
It just struck me while looking for an upgrade, the monitor really has been mostly ignored by PC manufacturers in recent years. I have a 27" Samsung 120hz model and was shopping around for some thing bigger and better and it doesn't exist. The 30" models are all 60hz, covered in anti-glare coating and mostly with bucket loads of lag. 32" TVs don't cut it... I tried the Sony EX720 and while the size was wonderful and games were pretty good it just didn't have the clarity and response rate quite right.

So my question is this: is anyone other than Apple (with their recent retina screens) pushing in any way forward with monitor development ? Why the heck can't I buy a 32" 120hz panel, or a 36" high resolution screen when I can drop $5k on a gaming PC with SSDs, dual GPUs and CPUs with 8 cores drilling through billions of calculations per millisecond ?

When the hell are we going to see any form of progress on what is without a doubt the most important component of all ?????

1000
 
Only if we had the option to FORCE them to skip over current technology and reach OLED faster...

Oh, and please tell me that they will not add Heavy LG Coating to it..
 
Hahaha LG - the anti-glare filter designer must have had stroke or something since i can't believe a normal person could have come up with that crap.

I have always used Samsung displays so i had no idea these kinds of anti-glare filters even existed until i bought 2 different Dell's (LG). Needless to say i am back with Samsung again :D.
 
1000, You're right displays are overlooked!!! That's a little play on words. I just went from a 32" 1080p 120Hz Sony TV to an NEC PA301W. Man I wish I would have made the switch years ago. I've been using TVs for monitors for so long, that I forgot how good an actual monitor looks. This 30" is great. Not much anti-glare coating, low input lag (at least I'm not seeing any in games) & a 30" screen is nice. It has all kinds of options & controls & good software to help with the adjustmentments. I would definitely recommend this display to all of my friend. ;)
 
I've heard good things about the NEC 30", problem is, 30" really isn't big enough IMO. I used a Sony 32" EX720 for a week and formed the belief that it wasn't big enough either. I would think that 35" - 36" is about the sweet spot for a BIG SCREEN computer monitor at something like 3200x1600 or whatever maintains the 16:9 aspect ratio.

I guess we just have to wait for slobbering, lumbering giants like LG to play catchup when Apple pulls the trigger on larger hi-res panels.

1000
 
Yeah I was using a 40" 1080p 120Hz Sony TV prior to the 32" TV, but that was too big. Unless I went wireless keyboard & mouse & sat across the living room from it. It was like you couldn't grasp the whole screen image at once sitting 3' to 4' away. The 32" picture was more manageable, viewing wise. I heard about the great picture of the oled screens but they wouldn't be out for a few years so I gave this 30" a shot. I was worried about what it would look like due to the price, but being honest I'm really liking it so far. Believe me if it looked like crap I'd warn you not to make the same mistake I did.
 
I'm patiently waiting for an affordable 36+" flat planel monitor with 4k+ resolution.
 
You don't need to go huge - a 24" or 27" IPS with great color and a glossy finish (as long as there's no window behind you) is my choice. Sure, it's a couple hundred bucks more but people waste money on i7's over an i5, 16GB over 8GB, and go with a plain-jane $150 monitor. It's the one part of the computer you look at the whole time you use it - why go cheap?
 
*Still waiting for Sharp to release IGZO 4k res. for their 70" model*

Sharp has amazing compatibility with PCs: clear texts and low input lag. Only downfall is the low 1080p resolution. :*(
 
Back
Top