Monitoring all network traffic?

HardD99

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, i am looking for something that will enable me to monitor all network traffic. Im not sure if i would need some kind of hardware device for this or maybe a special router? but i need to monitor how much bandwidth all computers on the network are using and possibly limit it if its not too hard. I would like some kind of an interface that i could continuously monitor on my main pc. Can anyone think of something that would do this for me? I currently have a D-Link DGL-4300 router and i have about 8 things on the network utilizing the internet, which is really the only thing i want to monitor, i dont really care about internal traffic.

Do you want data on what each computer is doing, or just the network as a whole?

either would work, but specific would probably be more helpful. I use skype so i would like to know which computer to slow down if my skype call starts screwing up ya know

that router doesn't appear to support snmp, nor does the built-in switch support span ports... so i don't see you be able to do much more than place a piece of networking monitoring software on all devices connected to the network. that, however, will only give you the information from each device... it will be up to you to piece it all together. if you introduce a hub into the network and plug everything into that then you could place a probe into the network to see whats going on... something like ntop on a laptop may work?

something that will allow you to see all traffic destined to the router could be placing a hub in between the routers LAN connection and the switch. Connect a pc with wireshark connected to this same hub and just snif away.

I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to monitor how much bandwidth each system is consuming, or do you want to be able to look at all of the actual frames on the LAN?

If the throughput use something like MRTG. If the frames, look into something like Ethereal, although there will be some hardware requirements like what was previously mentioned.

Back