Monitor woes - Difference between dead pixels or dust behind screen?

Namelessme

[H]ard|Gawd
My replacement NEC 2190 arrived today, and thankfully it at least starts up.

But it seems I replaced one problem with another.

I spotted at least 4 dead pixels, one somewhat annoyingly near the right/middle of the screen in clear view. The one near the middle is sort of clumpy and large.

How can one tell if that is a dead pixel or dust/material behind the screen? Is it possible to try to remove dust, or is that overly complex to do?

I can't be sure, but that may be a little bruising up top too. The backlight doesn't seem quite as consistent up there... a little darker. And its overall brightness seems a tad lacking too, not any brighter than my older broken one -- probably even less bright. Under hours it states about 6500 hrs, w/30K off, so it shouldn't be from usage. Assuming the hours used is accurate, that is.

Overall, I have to say I am somewhat disheartened by this little eBay purchase of mine. It appears the reseller I bought from didn't check this replacement for me, even though the one I initially purchased stated no screen problems, very bright screen, etc. It feels like they just grabbed whatever was on the shelf and didn't even check it first.

Last edited:
Wow you're getting hammered with monitor bad luck. Did you try this program Jonte suggested in a previous post? http://udpix.free.fr/ It revived 3 dead pixels I had. I never heard of dust behind the screen but I guess anything is possible. Maybe you can run a vacuum over the monitor vents & see if that does anything.

Yeah, the monitor gods have looked unfavorably upon me. And those 4 dead pixels are more like 6-7. I spotted a couple of more, but thankfully they are near the corners/top of the screen, rather than smack in the middle. The two extra may be stuck rather than dead, as they look like they are red rather than black.

I tried that program briefly. About how long does it need to run though?

I ran it for a short while, but wasn't sure about letting it run for hours on end. I didn't want to end up with screen burn or some other weirdness. Running for about an hour or two, while I browse and such, didn't fix anything.

I have a feeling programs like that may work better on newer monitors than ones several years old. My pixels may be set in their ways.

Have you tried rubbing them out? IDK if it works for dead pixels but when I bought my first two LCDs one had a few stuck on red and that method worked for me.

I did rub them using a microfiber cloth, but more to clean the screen than purposely try to fix the pixels. There was quite a bit of grime on the surface.... looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. How do you rub them out exactly? Just push on the area of the screen where the dead pixels are?

I don't want to cause more problems by pressing too hard.

Yeah, the monitor gods have looked unfavorably upon me. And those 4 dead pixels are more like 6-7. I spotted a couple of more, but thankfully they are near the corners/top of the screen, rather than smack in the middle. The two extra may be stuck rather than dead, as they look like they are red rather than black.

I tried that program briefly. About how long does it need to run though?

I ran it for a short while, but wasn't sure about letting it run for hours on end. I didn't want to end up with screen burn or some other weirdness. Running for about an hour or two, while I browse and such, didn't fix anything.

I have a feeling programs like that may work better on newer monitors than ones several years old. My pixels may be set in their ways.

1 program I tried said to run it for 20 minutes. The good thing about this program is if you place the problem pixel in the top left corner of the 5x5 pixel box, you can switch to 1x1 pixel box & only test the bad pixel. I ran it with the slider set to the slowest speed for 5-6 minutes & then kept speeding it up a little at a time for 5-6 minutes at each increment I stopped at.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ran the program for at least an hour on one dead pixel. I used the standard 5x5 box and left the speed at default. I did browse and such while it ran, which I'd think wouldn't matter. It didn't fix it for me.

I'll try it again on some of the other pixels. And maybe try a microfiber cloth again to see if any can be rubbed away. I don't think I want to try pushing on them as that site recommends... knowing my luck so far, I'll end up stabbing my screen and creating a hole in my panel.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ran the program for at least an hour on one dead pixel. I used the standard 5x5 box and left the speed at default. I did browse and such while it ran, which I'd think wouldn't matter. It didn't fix it for me.

I'll try it again on some of the other pixels. And maybe try a microfiber cloth again to see if any can be rubbed away. I don't think I want to try pushing on them as that site recommends... knowing my luck so far, I'll end up stabbing my screen and creating a hole in my panel.

Yeah I didn't think pressing on a pixel was a good idea either. How do you press just that pixel accurately without possibly damaging other pixels around it, or the screen itself?

Back