• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monitor vs TV

Tunapiano

n00b
Joined
Jul 28, 2013
Messages
6
So it's been a few years since i went shopping for monitors and now we have TN and IPS monitors. as i have read over posts it's almost impossible to tell what brand is good anymore and what monitors from what brands are the best.

With so many possibilites and no clear front runner i was wondering if just getting a 30 inch tv with 1080p was better than risking getting a monitor that may end up a dud.

I myself play mostly games like Planetside 2 where you have to have a monitor with good color and fast response times because the colors in the game go from bright to very dark depending on the time of day and Final Fantasy 14 where they pretty much do the same.

My old monitor a Samsung Syncmaster P2770 has a 1ms response time and great color but the monitor is dying and has been for a few months now and needs replaced. Money isn't the issue as much as just finding a monitor or TV with less than a 2ms response time and excellent colors.

It would need to be a 27 inch to 30 inch monitor or tv.
 
Last edited:
That is totally weird. I never heard of a monitor dying that fast. I would say if you are wreckless then maybe something like dropping it on the floor by accidentally bumping it off the desk. Other than something that drastic, if you have no physical accidents then your monitor should be fine. I can see very bright colors burning out the tube if you do not have a screen saver.

For instance, I left my monitor on the same picture for maybe months and it ended up burning in the image. So when the monitor is all dark you can see a faint image of what was burnt.

Anyways, I would recommend you put on your screen saver if this is the case because I often leave the laptop on for 24/7 on my other computer. It has a screen saver and the monitor is going strong after 2 years or so.
;)
 
I turn the monitor off anytime I am away from it for more than a few minutes. The monitor is just dying. The picture flickers on and off and the second or third time it flickers the monitor turns off and I either can wait a minute to turn itself back on or unplug the power cord for it in the back and plug it back in and fix it that way.

More importantly I'm just going to replace it. Just wondering if any monitor today can perform as well as the monitor I have or if I should just get a tv.
 
Yes that monitor is nice but it has a 8 ms response time.

don't get hung up on response times, chances are near 100% that you won't notice a thing.

also chances are pretty good that the "1ms" you claim is the "grey to grey" number aka: totally meaningless and is really around 5ms.
 
Yes that monitor is nice but it has a 8 ms response time.

The manufacturer response time is actually 12ms, but they are typically about as accurate as dynamic contrast ratios.

The VP2770 is the fastest+overshoot free 2560x1440 monitor. The LG 27EA83D & Dell U2713H have slightly faster measured pixel response times, but neither are free from overshoot. It can't overclock like the Qnix/X-Star PLS panels but it has less ghosting

Read my post here

Overshoot ghosting examples can be found here
 
don't get hung up on response times, chances are near 100% that you won't notice a thing.

also chances are pretty good that the "1ms" you claim is the "grey to grey" number aka: totally meaningless and is really around 5ms.
On the flip side, if you get a monitor with a strobe backlight such as LightBoost... the 1ms differences actually start to reveal itself during strobe backlight use, in fast panning test.

Several people can clearly tell the difference between LightBoost=10% and LightBoost=100% (1.4ms strobe lengths versus 2.4ms strobe lengths), since fast panning motions going at 1000 pixels/second means that 1ms = 1 pixel of motion blur. This is easily seen in the castle at the top of www.testufo.com/#test=photo&pps=1440 (view this in Chrome on a 120Hz monitor. If you have ToastyX Strobelight installed, enable lightboost on/off and change LightBoost % while watching test -- you will see the windows on the buildings become sharper and blurrier as you change the monitor's settings).

Note that motion-blur-eliminating strobe backlights bypass LCD pixel transitions time, since the GtG transitions is kept in total darkness between backlight flashes.
 
is motion blur really a big issue these days? and thanks for the heads up about the response times. so what is an ideal response time then? 5ms?
 
I remember buying a monitor years ago that claimed 5ms response time and people were saying, "Oh, that's not good." They were wrong. It was a good monitor and it displayed games just fine. Never saw ghosting or blur on it. Anything 5ms or less is fine in my opinion for gaming. Some people get real anal about specs sometimes. Try not to get yourself into that rut. You'll just drive yourself crazy. Probably people around you too.

If I were to buy a tv I'd probably get one of those LG LN5300 units(they make a 32" model). In fact I'm considering buying three 39" LN5300 next spring for a triple screen set up once the new house is built. Something may come out better by then though so I'm keeping my eyes open. If I were buying today though that's what I'd get. That's just me though.
 
1. most TVs have high input lag

2. all LCDs blur like hell w/o LightBoost
 
LCD is a flawed technology when it comes to motion. LightBoost is only a band aid measure, far from perfect, but best chance of motion clarity. Haven't had a chance to try the recent implementations but I don't think I could stand the flickering.

Anyway, when speed, reaction time, latency and motion clarity are concerned, it would go something like this for LCDs:
LightBoost>120-144Hz>60 HZ>10% of TVs>90% of TVs
 
I remember buying a monitor years ago that claimed 5ms response time and people were saying, "Oh, that's not good." They were wrong. It was a good monitor and it displayed games just fine. Never saw ghosting or blur on it. Anything 5ms or less is fine in my opinion for gaming. Some people get real anal about specs sometimes. Try not to get yourself into that rut. You'll just drive yourself crazy. Probably people around you too.

Similar here, the monitor at home is a 5ms one w/ CCFL backlight. (really want a LED backlit one but can't justify the expense right now) The only issues i've ever noticed were video card related, aka: tearing.
 
I have both solutions: a 1440p 27" monitor from Dell (U2713HM) and a 1080p 32" HDTV from Samsung (32F6300) and have been testing both. Being playing on the 1440p 27" monitor for years but know that I have experienced playing on the 32" HDTV I would not turn back to the 27" for gaming or watching movies. For everything else I like better my 27" monitor.
Saying that I must say that on the 32" HDTV I don't experience any input lag at all. It's just not noticiable. The input lag on my 27" is not high or disturbing but IT IS noticiable so the HDTV is better in that matter than my monitor. I highly recommend the HDTV for gaming.
 
I just picked up a Samsung un32eh5000fxza 32" HDTV as my primary monitor. Despite the motion blur I enjoy using it as a primary monitor more then my S27A950D 120hz. Gaming on a 32" is damn immersive. In the end it comes down to personal preference.

FYI I do not notice any input lag. feels just as responsive as my 120hz. That said, I'm sure others would beg to differ.
 
Same here on my 37inch. I'll never go back to using a regular pc monitor. A good TV properly setup for desktop use, can't beat it.
 
Back
Top