• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Monitor Upgrade Since 2005, help!

Compuwiz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 16, 2003
Messages
277
I've had the same two SyncMaster 920BW monitors since 2005 and am looking for a significant upgrade.

My setup:
GeForce GTX260 ==> 2 x Samsung 920BW
GeForce 8800 GTS 512 ==> 1 x Samsung 52" LN52B750

I've heard of Display Port, but my two GFX cards dont have it. I also just learned of Dual-Link DVI, but not entirely sure how that works (is it simply 1 higher-bandwidth cable?) Will my cards above support Dual-Link DVI?

I have a Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP at work which I like a lot, but feel that there should be much better technology than 2008-spec monitors with same resolutions.

I've been researching monitors for over a month and am pretty seriously considering a Dell Ultrasharp 2711 or 2411M.

However, just tonight I found some interesting options from brands that I've never heard of: (All 27" 2560x1440 resolution!)
Overlord Tempest X270OC - Pixel Perfect
Achieva Shimian 27"
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 "2B Extreme - Overclock Edition"

I like the high resolution and the other specs and price, but am a little leery of the non-name-brands. Anyone with first-hand experience with these? I love the Apple Displays, gloss doesn't worry me much and looks sexy, plus my room doesn't have any glare issues.

I also read that Intel Expects High Resolution Graphics/Monitors in 2013.

Help me be more educated! If we buy any of the name-brand monitors right now, are we simply buying old technology? Are we on the cusp of AWESOME new monitor upgrades, and is it best to wait?

AHH!! Paralysis by Over-Analysis!!
Thanks so much.
 
BTW, I dont typically do any gaming. I'm starting to explore iPad development and the extra screen space will help with design, but overall, its for mostly surfing. I like my dual-screen monitors, and think that I could eliminate them if I get 1 massive screen with such high resolution; but am also considering 2 x 24s. Ugh.
 
The only major new technological upgrade would be OLED, in my opinion. We'll finally see a glimmer of it later this year with a couple of TVs. But it's supposedly been coming for years, so who knows if/when we'll see affordable OLED monitors.You can find threads from 5 years ago proclaiming OLED is right around the corner.

Otherwise, that 2408 (S-PVA, I think?) probably stands up pretty well against most current monitors. Personally I don't see much difference between monitor tech from 4-5 years ago compared to today. The only tech upgrade available over VA is IPS, which will improve several things over the 2408, but not black levels/contrast. To some people, an older S-PVA would be preferred.

There are several threads here on the Korean monitors and other no-name 1440p brands. Most report no problems, but there are some with dead pixels and similar sorts of issues. Microcenter sells a similar panel, which is a lot easier to return if it has a problem.

I would suggest just buying whatever you feel is best for your needs now, and don't worry about some tech advance down the line.
 
Last edited:
Make sure you buy an IPS, try to figure out if you want glossy or matte, (though for home use, especially browsing, I would go 100% with glossy), and try to avoid models that have serious problems(backlight bleeding for example). Avoid TN at all costs. PVA could be an option for reading, since it has good NATIVE contrast. Don't believe the all dynamic contrast thingy as you will have to sacrifice everything(including brightness) for it. Native contrast is what matters.
 
Back
Top