Monitor the Internet

jojo3

n00b
Hello,
I would like to know what is the best way to monitor the web sites a person is going to, and how much time they spend on those sites.
I allow someone to use my PC during the day and I’ like to make sure they are doing what they say they are doing and not just wasting time all day.
I'm not looking for something that records what they are chatting about or what's in their e-mail, nothing like that. and I don't need anything that blocks any sites or prevents them from chatting.
alI would like to see is the approximate time they spending fooling around on the Internet.

Thanks in advance

The built in browser history of IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, or Chrome isn't good enough?

I could suggest GFI webmonitor, or BrowseReporter, but both are more of an enterprise solution.

Thank you for the reply :)
This person just goes into tools and clicks "Delete history" or clicks the favorites icon (the star) and deletes whaterver website they like.
Hey that gives me an idea
Is there a way to remove the delete history button or prevent the person from deleting history.:D

Thanks

Spector soft is a pretty spiffy solution, so is using opendns with a registered IP address. Won't give you the duration of their stay though.

I hesitate to add that if you don't trust this person, don't let them use your system

Make sure you put this warming up on the wall behind the computer.

being-monitored.jpg

SentryPC has option to log all websites visited. It cost $50.

Thank you for the reply :)
This person just goes into tools and clicks "Delete history" or clicks the favorites icon (the star) and deletes whaterver website they like.
Hey that gives me an idea
Is there a way to remove the delete history button or prevent the person from deleting history.:D

Thanks

Yes.

Run gpedit.msc

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer -> Delete Browser History

No additional software needed to see where they've been going...the only problem is that they'll know something's up when they go to delete the history and cannot, but then again, it's not their computer so how much can they really complain?

Yes.

Run gpedit.msc

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer -> Delete Browser History

No additional software needed to see where they've been going...the only problem is that they'll know something's up when they go to delete the history and cannot, but then again, it's not their computer so how much can they really complain?

i doubt they will check before they surf. by the time they find out it will be too late.

Run gpedit.msc

That sound like a great idea!
Thank you very much to all of you for the help :)

We demand a followup on what happens when they try to delete history and fail. Youtube video would be even better. Popcorn, anyone?

I hesitate to add that if you don't trust this person, don't let them use your system

^This. If anything if they find out you are trying to monitor them they will just throw a shit fit about it anyways. Theres nothing wrong is saying to someone, no, you can not use my system because I can not trust what you are doing with it.

Yes.

Run gpedit.msc

Perfect, and they'll know you can see the history, be interesting.

I went back to this early post, and realized that they wouldn't be deleting the history if they had nothing to hide, so the solution is very simple. Just ask them to not delete the history, and if they continue to do so, revoke their access and password protect the PC. It's your computer, and your right to know everything your PC is being used for supercedes their right to privacy.

Thanks everyone for all the relies :)
I ran into a problem,Gpedit does not work on Windows XP Home. DO'H! :eek:
How can I get something like this to work on my XP Home PC. :confused:

Here's a quick and dirty idea. What you could do is setup a scheduled task that runs every few minutes that copies the history to another folder, I think that XP Home has a task scheduler. Almost no one its going to pick up on that and deleteing the history can't defeat it.

What you could do is setup a scheduled task that runs every few minutes that copies the history to another folder, I think that XP Home has a task scheduler.
Thanks for the help :)
I just don't know how to do it.
I tried using
"AT 3:30 cmd /c copy C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\history\*.* C:\MyDocs"

but it does not work, the job shows up in "Scheduled Tasks" and the job runs but it does not copy any files.
How do I set this up? :(

Back