• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monitor switch question

DeadlyAura

CoalWagen
2FA
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
5,063
I recently inherited an analog monitor switch. Its one of those things designed to have 2 computers run off one monitor, 1 keyboard, and 1 mouse.

Since I am into gaming, I wanted to know if this switch will create quality loss. Will there be video lag? Mouse lag? keyboard lag?

Before I went through the hassle of hooking up the whole system I wanted to know what you guys thought.

 
I've noticed no lag whatsoever from the cheap KVM switch I got off the egg. It doesn't like my tilt wheel though, so eh. . .
 
If you get one for DVI no, because the signal is digital, analog yeah theres a small chance.. and wether or not you are plugging USB devices into it or standard non USB shouldnt make a difference, MOST special keys should work.

Linksys make really good ones that are usb for a fair price, but the bonus to the better linksys ones is you can press printscreen or f12 ( pretty sure its adjustable) to switch between computers without messing with clunky switches.. my buddy had one and it was pretty sweet.. he just double tapped a key and a different computer popped up.
 
Yeah, the one I have is Shift + scroll lock. Its greeat, however the switch will be sitting right at my finger tips anyways. The only thing that kind of sucks is that my MX300 is USB and not PS/2 like the switch accepts. Ill just throw another PS/2 mouse ont he PC and use it when I need it.


The switch is a TRENDnet TK-205i KVM Switch.
Sure, it looks professional and looks heavy dudty, but how does it perform? I'll post back after I try it out.

EDIT: I hooked up the switch and when I was doing so, I realized that one of the pins is missing on the analog plug on the switch. On the end that it plugs into the PC. Both ends are missing that one pin. Its a pin in the center row, second pin I think. What does that pin do and how come my monitor is not missing that pin?
 
Back
Top