• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monitor Suggestions?

kieth89

n00b
Joined
Feb 13, 2013
Messages
4
After looking around at various monitors for about a month I now see that these are probably the hardest computer part to pick out! That sucks, as they are one of the most important.

Hopefully someone can give me a suggestion that would fit the following criteria. Right now I am on an ASUS VH24H 23.6" and while it is fine I would like something a little better. Here is what I am looking for in order of importance:
  • $300 limit on price, less is fine of course. Don't have to max it out. -
  • 24" monitor size
  • Very good blacks with little black crush (although the black crush is less important if the blacks are super good). The ASUS I have is ok on blacks but they have a bit of a white film to them. Not much but you can tell. I do have the brightness down to 23.
  • No to very small light bleed. I don't want a dark screen framed by ghostly white.
  • Good enough to game on. Not super worried about this and do not need a super fast response time, but do not want tons of ghosting. I'm going to be playing casual Borderlands/Skyrim games on it, not hardcore Counterstrike.
  • Decent colors and such. As long as it is at least as good as the colors on the ASUS I will be fine with it.
  • No more AG than the ASUS monitor. The asus monitor is just about as much anti glare coating as I want. It is almost sparkle-ly on the whites, but not quite. A little less AG coating might be best, but as long as it is not worst I do not mind one that is on par with the coating on the ASUS VH24H.
  • I would like it to be highly adjustable, but this is not a major selling point. Just a tie breaker.

On this monitor I will be doing programming, casual gaming, maybe some web design/casual image editing, and typing up documents in Microsoft Office programs. Pretty much a little bit of everything with this monitor. I was looking at M/PVA type panels as they seem to have very good black levels, and better than a TN excluding insanely fast response times. Don't really know though, monitors are definitely not my area so I would just like some suggestions to monitors that fit these needs, if there is one. Thanks for any help.
 
If very good blacks is your main priority, it'll have to be an AMVA then.

Samsung 24" 650 may suit your purposes, but I'm not sure how great gaming is on it.

Dell S series, 24" is AMVA and glossy ... and < $200. But you'll probably get some overshoot with it, and no way to turn off overdrive. Stand is not height adjustable.


I'm not sure how great either are with ghosting, but a number of people have reported ghosting issues with the BenQ 2450, which uses a similar panel. Look at reviews at Prad and TFT central for the above two to see how they are for gaming (even casual gaming). Also be aware of the viewing cone issue with AMVA, so you may get some gamma shift depending on how close you sit to the monitor.

IPS monitors are of course another option, but don't expect super dark blacks with IPS.
 
I was looking at the 650. From reading the thread on it here it seemed to be pretty good. Is the viewing angle on AMVA panels any worse than the average TN? From what I've read viewing angles go IPS > VA > TN but am not for sure on the VA vs TN.
I'll have to look at the Dell S series, have not heard of them before.
 
VA will have better viewing angles than TN. But also be aware that if you sit very close to the monitor, you may see some gamma shift around the edges of the display. There is a big S series thread here ... look at the end of it and you'll see a description of the 'viewing cone' issue I am referring to.

If you can live with a non-height adjustable stand and prefer glossy ... and don't mind the overshoot, the Dell may be preferable to you. It will be cheaper than the 650 anyway. A rough estimate of S series prices : 23" IPS $160, 24" VA $200, 27" IPS $300. While the 24" Samsung 650 in the US is probably around $250-$280 (last time I checked). Also be aware that the hdmi models for the S series may require a bit of a driver hack/fix if using AMD or Intel.
 
Back
Top