Monitor sizing - a little surprised

mlcarson

Limp Gawd
I've been using 24 inch 1920x1200 monitors and a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor. I just got a 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor (Asus Rog Swift) and kind of expected it to be sized in between these two monitor sizes. The 2560x1440 looks to be the same vertical size as my 24 inch monitors -- the only increase is in the horizontal dimension. I didn't account for the differences in aspect ratio. I guess 24 -> 27 if both are in 16:9 aspect ratio scales upward as you'd expect but not if the aspect ratio also changes.

I guess this website explains it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_size#mediaviewer/File:LCD_screen_sizes.svg
Going from 16:10 aspect ratio to 16:9 really shortens the height regardless of the number of vertical pixels. My 30 inch 16:10 kind of towers over the 27" 16:9. It seems like a huge difference in physical size for such a little difference in vertical pixels.

The thicker bezels of my older ZR24W's just made it look like they were the same height but there isn't much of a difference. The 27 inch is effectively just a wider 24 inch if you're used to 16:10 aspect ratio. I wish they made 2560x1600 30" monitors that were 120hz refresh rate or better.

The 27" just reminds me that I'm getting old. I actually have to put on my reading glasses on this monitor to comfortably read the default text size.

The displaywars page you linked is a great comparison tool.

Is the difference in dot pitch between a 24" 1200p and 27" 1440p readily discernible?

I just bought an Asus VS24ah-P. I haven't opened yet and I've been think of returning it and springing for a 27, probably the BenQ BL2710PT. I'm wondering if the dot pitch will be noticeably better. (Also I'm wondering if the semi-glossy finish on the BenQ will look better than the light matte Asus.)

In my opinion, the 94.34 ppi and 108.79 ppi are not that discernible with respect to quality but I've got older eyes too. The 24 inch monitors look better because their IPS and because the text is larger. I have to increase the text size within my browser to 110% on the 27 inch to get about the same size font as on the 24 inch monitor.
[edit] Actually, I think a 120% zoom with IE is about right rather than 110% [/edit]

Last edited:
I think the evolution of display comparisons, size-wise, goes like this.

Compare diagonals. Problem: different aspect ratios.
Compare total screen area. Problem: FOV coverage not growing linearly with total area.
Final solution: compare total angular area (FOV coverage) of the screen in square degrees. Problem: no problems.

Back