Monitor shutting off?

Flapjack

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 29, 2000
Messages
3,217
Hey everyone. I've been having a problem where I'm in the middle of doing something, and the screen will just go black.

Being as though I've got my X2 3800+ @ 2.55ghz, and my 12 pipe 500/500 Radeon X850 Pro @ 16 pipes 565/600, I automatically assumed it was something to do with the overclock on either the GPU or CPU. As soon as it happens, I just hit the reset button.

I've been backing it off incrementally to see if it was just that. Well, my wife in a stroke of genius decided to turn the monitor off, then turn it back on. Lo and behold... it came back on.

Now, I'm trying to decide if there's something wrong with the monitor (less than 6 month old 2005FPW) or if it's the video drivers or overclock.

I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem with their Dell LCD before I started jacking around with the video drivers....

Oh, by the way... the light on the monitor stays green. It does't go orange like when the computer shuts off or the monitor goes into power saving mode.....
 
My Viewsonic does that whenever I get to the second test in 3DMark05. Then it turns back on once the third test comes up. It did that with my 6800GT and my X1800XT. Turn it off and on doesn't fix it though.
 
One of my brand new 3007's was doing that. The screen would look like it was just turned off, but the power button light was still on. Does the input light stay on and green, does it stay on and orange or does it go off?
 
My Envision lcd does that too, has for a long time(only to a worse degree I think then yours is) I can turn it on and it will display the desktop only to go black again. Loading up IE tends to help with this problem but its wierd, and any time my resolution changes theres a very good chance that I'm gonna get the black screen. I havent ever seen it on any other monitor before and hadnt read about it happening to anyone else. Anyone have a clue what the heck the problem really is?
 
Mine was a bad monitor but didn't do it on resolution changes. Out of the blue it would just happen but it'd only be one of 3007's not both. Dell sent me a replacement (refurb) and it had crap all over the screen so they sent me a brand new one the next day.
 
LittleMe said:
One of my brand new 3007's was doing that. The screen would look like it was just turned off, but the power button light was still on. Does the input light stay on and green, does it stay on and orange or does it go off?

The light stays green... didn't think so many people would have the same problem.

I guess I'll be returning it.......
 
Yea, I'd say get an RMA on it. Neither of my 2005's do it, so I'd say it's just that one. If it doesn't go away after you get the replacement with a different cable, then it's your video card.
 
Back
Top