Monitor resolutions & gaming question

H3d Case

Limp Gawd
I have the Samsung Syncmaster 931b and it seem to be a pretty good LCD monitor. I also have the DVI cable in. My question is about resoluions and gaming. Like with my monitor the highest resolution i get is 1280x1024 & it has the 8ms response thing and im satisfied with it. But the thing is the highest refresh rate i can get is 60hz when in 1280x1024. Im concerned that if i game long hours (mostly Oblivion) that it will mess up my vision. Cuz i remember reading something about how CRT monitors with low refresh rates can mess up your vision.

Does it work the same with LCD?
And should i really be concerned about it?

lcds are generally better for your vision than crts. but gaming for longs periods at a time is never good for your vision, period.

CRT monitors and LCD monitors are different in how they draw the image. The CRT has an electron gun that fires across the depth of the monitor. The electron stream hits the phosphor dots on the back of the screen and makes them glow. How the dot is hit makes the color change. After the dot is hit, it starts to fade. The dot must be hit many times a second to keep it at required intensity, this is called refresh. If the refresh is too slow , the dot is fading and then suddenly jumps to brightness again. This causes a flicker on the screen that can cause eye strain and headaches. The horizontal refresh rate on a CRT monitor generally needs to be in the 70 to 75 Hz range, or a little higher.

LCD monitors draw the image differently. The 'dots' are not excited by an electron gun, they are activated by direct access through the wiring in the LCD face itself. The dots are different than the phosphor dots in the screen in a CRT and are more like transistors in their operation. Bias from voltages applied makes the colors change, and these dots do not fade like those on a CRT. They still need to be refreshed, but the refresh rate can be lower with no bad effects. This is why your LCD has a lower refresh rate. It is OK.

Back