Monitor Repair

flboad

Limp Gawd
I have a 21" CRT that is starting to kick the bucket. I was wondering if it's even worth repairing. It is a great monitor and would hate to have to throw it out.

It seems that after 20 or so minutes (after it warms up) that the picture starts to bend in, then break, then come back, a little after that it will just go black. I turn it off for a few minutes the picture comes back. But then it will break again?? So i'm wondering if there is any thing i can do to possible bring it back to life. I've already bought a new monitor 20" LCD flat panel. But would love to be able to set these up as dual monitors?

Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't see the Monitor forum, possible to move this thread in there?

Well, opening the monitor yourself = hyper-retarded * super dangerous.

I'm not sure how much it would cost to have it repaired. I had one fixed under warranty. That was 5 years ago and it's still going strong. But like I said, I got it fixed for free. I bet it would cost quite a bit to fix it.

what is the brand? build date? perhaps it may still be under warranty? NEVER NEVER NEVER open a CRT's case - unless you have had the proper training - unless you want the world to have one less flboad running around.
Seriuosly, the electric charge held in a crt (or television for that matter) can kill. Take it to a professional.
Now, if you want a replacement crt - there are several options in the crt realm that have come down on price, due to everyone wanting lcd's. Also used 21's can be easily found on the net too.
IF the monitor is out of warranty adnyou really would like to get it repaired - in some cases tv repair shops will take on crts. Just check their better biz bureau rating etc.

Hey guys thanks for the info. Yeah i've heard some bad stories about explosive TV's and CRT's. Probably gonna end up in the dumpster. Don't feel like spending more $100 on it. Unfortunatley i got it from a kid in college who needed money. That was 3 years ago. so it's not underwaranty. Which is ok. Got it for cheap and it lasted a while.

It's an ADI 6+
(heavy as a bitch) mabye i'm glad i got the FP

Thanks for the help

Back