Monitor recommendation

HMVit

n00b
I'm looking for a 24" 1080p monitor under $500.

I was thinking about the Dell U2414H but was concerned about the reports of unpredictable quality control with Dell.

Which manufacturer is known for strict quality controls?

Get a FW900, it supports 2560x1600 at 72Hz for maximum quality.

I really need to know, are all of them (save the professional ones like eizo) equally bad?

I really need to know, are all of them (save the professional ones like eizo) equally bad?

There's no way to know this unless we have actual return/defective numbers. However, they're all likely equal outside of Dell, whom normally has quality control issues that exceed the normal backlight bleed/dead pixel problems (generally panel electronics).

Check here for recommendations.

Could a mod please ban you already?

There's no way to know this unless we have actual return/defective numbers. However, they're all likely equal outside of Dell, whom normally has quality control issues that exceed the normal backlight bleed/dead pixel problems (generally panel electronics).

Could a mod please ban you already?

oh come on. You don't like his suggestion for a monitor that has not been made in over a decade????:rolleyes:

That's the problem,

AOC i2473PWY
Dell P2414H
Dell U2414H
Dell S2415H
Eizo FS2434
Eizo EV2450
LG 24MB56HQ-B:
Samsung S24D390HL
Samsung S24D590L

Three are dells, the AOC has input lag, the LG is not available. The Samsungs don't have proper adjustable stands.

What are you going to be using the monitor for? Gaming or stuff like pictures and video? If its gaming, you should be looking for a good 120-144 Hz monitor. I recently went 144 Hz and now I can never go back to 60 Hz.

I don't need a high refresh rate monitor. Just a good 24" panel with consistent performance across the spectrum, low/no visible backlight bleeding and cloudy glows.

I was looking at the HP Z24i but there was a thread here about huge batches of units with technical problems. The HP envy 23 looked ok but it is 23 inches and it also has a minimalist stand.

Why are you only considering 150-250$ monitors with a 500$ budget? 23" vs 24" size difference is tiny, and most monitors quality control is poor, which is why buying from a retailer with a hassle free return and exchange policy is a must. Dells do tend to have the most issues, but they have a hassle free return and exchange policy and excellent warranty service.

Last edited:
Most of the monitors at that size and resolution are at the price, I didn't dictate the price.

Anyone have experience with HP's warranty process beyond what's on paper?

2nd Edit: Do the black bars when displaying 1080p content degrade the experience for 16:10 displays?

Last edited:
just recommended this in the other thread, but the asus vg248qe is excellent performer for good price

At this point I'm deciding between the P2414H, U2414H and the U2415H.

Does any of these have particular backlight problems? Especially the 16:10 panel.

I'm also a bit hesitant about the touch buttons on the U panels.

They seem to have the same AG coating as well right?

That is not widely available and thus will be hard to return in case of defect.

Do TN panels have less backlight issues than IPS panels?

Back