• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Monitor recommendation

GibsonEX

Gawd
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
680
Well, just a couple minutes ago my (at this point ancient) Gateway FPD2485W went belly up. I didn't pay attention to monitors in a long long while so i'm in need of some advice. Mostly FPS gamer, although not that much, wife needs it for her Amazon/Facebook/family pictures fix.

After using 1920x1200 for long time i need something at least same size. I heard good things about 120hz, but is that too bright for gaming/net surfing? What would be better ips panel or 120hz, is there a big difference in picture quality there? I'd appreciate some advice from somebody who has tried/saw them both.

Budget is not big deal, but i'd like to keep it under 500 bucks. Thanks.
 
IPS is more of a higher picture quality monitor, while TN/120Hz are pretty much about high response times/low ghosting. I've recently upgraded from a Samsung 226CW to AOC 2353Ph and replaced that within a week with HP ZR2440w (received today). The Dell U2412m is essentially using the same panel that my HP has. I have nothing bad to say about this monitor - everything is better than the AOC I just had, and that one was a lot better than my old samsung. Maybe the anti-glare coating could be softer - it doesn't really show or make things hard to read, but it makes pure white look a bit "dirty".
My main use for this is gaming (Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, League of Legends) and it works pretty good. Picture quality is very good, ghosting is barely noticeable, input lag is unnoticeable (probably because my old one had even worse input lag than this HP). After reading lots of reviews, forum posts etc I'd vote for a Dell U2412m (cheaper) or HP ZR2440w. There's also a Samsung (A850 series I think) that's supposed to have very good picture quality, but from what I've read some ~90% of those have very bad backlight-bleed.
 
Back
Top