Rogue Thought
n00b
- Joined
- Mar 10, 2013
- Messages
- 2
I just got a new system after a very long time and decided to go with an nVidia Surround setup. The new system is shipping tomorrow actually. Just looking over the threads here over the past month has helped me immensely with component choices, but I'm really at my wits end with monitors.
I currently have a Dell 2407WFP which is still running fine and decided to go 1-over-4 for the nVidia surround with 3 new U2412M's. I'm currently sitting here staring at my 2nd set of three U2412M's and officially detesting IPS glow now. The first set of three have already been returned to BestBuy due to back panel bleeding. These 3 are from Amazon, manufactured in Jan 2013, but rev A00(still can't get an answer as to how that is). Minimal back panel bleed with the new ones, but the IPS glow is whitish and horrendous. The Best Buy ones were A03 from Oct 2012 and the glow was purplish, and slightly less distracting than white.
At this point, I'd buy more S-PVA panels if it were an option, but as far as I can tell, everyone stopped making them. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So where do I go from here? My main requirement is that the monitors be 1920x1200 (I hate 16:9 more than IPS glow) and that I end up with 3 matching panels for surround. I don't seem to be affected by flicker, perfect color representation doesn't concern me that much, and anti-reflective coatings dont bother me at all. I don't care about 120Hz or 3D, but would REALLY like to avoid IPS after seeing them. They will be mostly for gaming in a low light environment.
So I figure I have these choices:
1) Some miracle recommendation from someone here.
2) TN? But Ive read horrible things about TN, and I havent found anything still in production thats 16:10.
3) Return the U2412M's and try to buy two used or refurb 2407WFP's to match my existing one. I'm not sure if this is viable considering the age of these displays? BTW, the used prices of 2407s arent much less than new 2412s. Go figure.
4) Keep the three U2412M's and just deal with it since there really isn't any other good option at this time. Maybe I can learn to like them? Anyone out there that hated IPS glow and learned to ignore it eventually?
Sorry for the length of the post. Any advice would be appreciated greatly.
I currently have a Dell 2407WFP which is still running fine and decided to go 1-over-4 for the nVidia surround with 3 new U2412M's. I'm currently sitting here staring at my 2nd set of three U2412M's and officially detesting IPS glow now. The first set of three have already been returned to BestBuy due to back panel bleeding. These 3 are from Amazon, manufactured in Jan 2013, but rev A00(still can't get an answer as to how that is). Minimal back panel bleed with the new ones, but the IPS glow is whitish and horrendous. The Best Buy ones were A03 from Oct 2012 and the glow was purplish, and slightly less distracting than white.
At this point, I'd buy more S-PVA panels if it were an option, but as far as I can tell, everyone stopped making them. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So where do I go from here? My main requirement is that the monitors be 1920x1200 (I hate 16:9 more than IPS glow) and that I end up with 3 matching panels for surround. I don't seem to be affected by flicker, perfect color representation doesn't concern me that much, and anti-reflective coatings dont bother me at all. I don't care about 120Hz or 3D, but would REALLY like to avoid IPS after seeing them. They will be mostly for gaming in a low light environment.
So I figure I have these choices:
1) Some miracle recommendation from someone here.
2) TN? But Ive read horrible things about TN, and I havent found anything still in production thats 16:10.
3) Return the U2412M's and try to buy two used or refurb 2407WFP's to match my existing one. I'm not sure if this is viable considering the age of these displays? BTW, the used prices of 2407s arent much less than new 2412s. Go figure.
4) Keep the three U2412M's and just deal with it since there really isn't any other good option at this time. Maybe I can learn to like them? Anyone out there that hated IPS glow and learned to ignore it eventually?
Sorry for the length of the post. Any advice would be appreciated greatly.