• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monitor PC. What should i add/change

Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
9
Hello I have been wonting to build a pc where everything was in a monitor like the imac. So here it is I finally did it. We upgraded our old pc so I had the old parts to use to build it. So first I went out and found a monitor that was broken. I got a 21in monitor for $10 at a used computer store. So I took it home and ripped all the gusts out of it. The plastic was in three man parts that screwed together. The frame, the bottom, and the case. I remade a bottom for it out of sheet metal for everything to screw to. Then made motherboard rack which I got from an old case. then made a cd drive rack, whichI had to make it able to unscrew vertically so I could upgrade or change it out for something else because I have two cd drives, one burner and one regular drive. Starting to think I don’t need 2 anymore. Used them for ripping cd's, but one works fine. Then I mounted the power supply under the motherboard tray and the hard. And after that I bought a 19in flat screen brang it home and took off all the plastic stuff and then cut out the speakers and the buttons. I had to lengthen these wires, and then mould the buttons into the front under the screen. Then I added some fans and cathodes. And then paint. I then made it so it hade one power cord to power the pc and LCD screen so one cord came out of the case but then split to two inside. Its so clutter free. No wires going every where and its all in one case. Great for LAN parties!!!! Then it’s all done.

clip_image002.jpg


P1000208.jpg


P1000209.jpg


P1000220.jpg


P1000221.jpg


P1000213.jpg


P1000214.jpg


P1000217.jpg


P1000224.jpg


P1000223.jpg


P1000225.jpg


P1000233.jpg


P1000238.jpg


This is a door I made so I can easily get into it for what ever reason. There is also one on the back so I can easily plug in mouse and key board and what ever else. Any ideas on how to keep it closed and still bee able to open it when I need. Maybe I should remake the door out of plexi. I have never worked with plexi though. How would I do that?
P1000234.jpg


P1000239.jpg


I want to keep this going so any ideas??? The next thing I am wonting to do is add external USB ports!


:LOL: Mode it tell it BleedS :LOL:
 
I'm tired, so I'm going to be blunt here. You'll probably not like what I've got to say. Be warned.

The first thing I'd tell you to do is to clean up the cuts you made in the plastic. Those edges look like shit and could definitely be handled better than that. Second, what is up with those random clusters of holes you put next to the optical drives in the front? I can't figure out the purpose of that, and it seriously detracts from the overall look.

It's a cool idea, but the execution could really be much better.

Also, I don't know if this really qualifies as a worklog, but I could be wrong.
 
Looks good, and he's right cuts could be cleaner, but probly better than i could do.

Any why wuldnt it qualify as a worklog? It's a log of his work.
 
try to take less blurry pictures...and if you can either stealth the drives or at least make em blend in a little better.
 
I wouldn't have put it as bluntly as the first person, but it could probably be a little neater....but I still think it looks awesome, and thats a very cool thing you have going there! I say keep going, finish, and when it's all done, you'll have basically all the knowledge you need for a future Version, except in the future version, it'll be neater!
 
Love the project idea. Hate the color scheme.

Suggestions:
Take it apart, clean up the cuts, fill the monitor button holes with bondo and smooth.
Paint it. One. Solid. Color. (Black, silver, lime green, whatever. Just one solid color.)
I'd stealth the drives also. Adds to the "wow" factor when people aren't expecting it.
I'd like to see handles on this too, spring loaded recesed would be nice. However, I don't know if you could. Is the top casing structurally sound enough to lift from the top/sides?

I'd call it a really good start. Interior lighting looks good. Any way to mount the LCD and not see the screws on the front? Other than cosmetic issues, (which are really OUR opinions, you may like it), looks good. Nice job.
 
i know what you mea aboutthe cuts. its my first progect. onlythingi have done befor this is add an led to a mouse. but i plandto get some bondo and mold in the drives. but then i liked the stelthing ideas. but how to make it stelth? i dont see how i would do that. any ideas. a like te hanil idea also. i added 2 usb ports on the left. what is the cleanest way to cut plastic. and thous hols arefor the speacers. wonted everything built in. good for lan party. the coulers are for spiderman. any one good at drawing wont to give e an idea of a better spiderman theme of paint? and how to hing thow doors and keep them shut? but still be adil to open when needed. or how to make them out of plexi. i am using ducktap to hold them there right now. lol. i also wontto put in this headphone jack http://www.frontx.com/cpx090.html it turns of spekers when you plug in headphones good for lan party. i was also thinking of replacing one of the drives with this cathoid ontroler http://www.frozencpu.com/lit-116.html it does tuns of cool stuff. i mean on cd drive is enuf, i dont need two so ill gust keep the burner in thee. so if i did that no need to stelth. what is your thoghts on these ideas?
:cool:
 
Basically just echoing everyone else's sentiments...

Great idea, and with a little cleaning up, this could be really cool. Get yourself some bondo and mold everything flat, drives and monitor. The paint scheme hurts my soul... if you like it, roll with it, but I'd go for something else. You could probably get rid of some of those fans, maybe just put in one or two 120mm's, because that case is pretty well ventilated.

Clean this mod up and you will certainly have mad props from me.
 
very cool man. Great first attempt. You definitely have the basic idea down, and i see a bright future. I have 3 dead monitors laying around as well. I turned one into a fishtank. I think i will give this a shot with my 1.4ghz machine. I have to say, its gotta be a bit loud with all those fans. Why did you add so many if the top is already vented? Would not 2 do, creating a flow across from side to side?

Either way i like the end result barring asthetics. The best way to stealth those drives is to mount them a little further in and get a piece of plastic and paint it the same color as the fron of the monitor and attach it to the front. do a search on stelath drives annd i'm sure you get some great ideas.
 
Use tiny magnets to hold the doors. No, they won't screw up your hard drives unless they're like >5lb.
 
Get rid of the lights. If a monitor is glowing from its heat vents, there's something wrong with it. :p
 
corebreach said:
Get rid of the lights. If a monitor is glowing from its heat vents, there's something wrong with it. :p
thats not a crt, if you read the first post he bought a dead 21" crt, stripped it of the internals and bought a 19"lcd and stuck it in their. witch looks nice btw...

i know you heard it before in this thread, those cuts need to be smoothed out with a dremel & use bondo to cover it up so you can smooth out the front of the case with sand paper.

overall this pc looks good
 
If you do some extreme bondo-ing, then I think this case would be pretty damn cool, i'd tap it.
 
I'd say skip the Venom paintjob too. Definitely hit that thing with some Bondo and make it what it really deserves to be. It's a pretty good first attempt, but just take your time putting the spit shine on it. Nothing ever gets done right in a rush.

Looking at it again, I'm agreeing with corebreach that the lights don't really look right. They seem superfluous, though you didn't really mention what the overall intent was. If it's to make it look like a pretty much stock monitor with a paintjob, then the lights should probably go.
 
Mmm, this case has GREAT potential, it just needs to be cleaned up a whole lot :)

Might I suggest this for the optical drives... take the front panel of an old case with a flat front and cut around the edges of it so you cut out the bay which the drive is layed into. Then cut enough (but not too much) of a hole in the monitor case to fit the piece in, then bondo it and sand it so it looks like it was really meant for drive bays. Viola, no bullshit cuts, no mess, VERY clean. Then simply look into drive-bay stealthing, there are many ways to do it but in the end they all have the same desired effect. Also, those speaker holes for the monitor have got to go. You might aswell just rip the speakers out or don't use them, because I highly doubt the sound quality coming out of them is decent, especially through those holes. Once more, bondo can come in handy here. Bondo will also come in handy for covering up those stock and unused monitor holes, they gotta go aswell! For whatever color choice you plan on using (please, let it be one solid color) get colored anodized screws for the front screws holding the monitor in. This would look great, especially if all the holes are even and parallel from the other, etc. Lights, don't look good in there, but it might be because of that paint scheme, I dunno I just personally despise the color choice (seriously man it hurts the eyes), but LOVE the general idea of this case. MASSIVE potential to stun the hell out of people.
 
my intent is to have the coolest lan party pc ever. one power cord and the only wires comeing out are for keyboard and mouse. even hase wireless lan in it. so its not suposed to look gust like a moniter. the moniter pc idea is so i can make to 3 parts mesh to gether witch are screen, tower, and speackers. dont have to walk back and forther to car and conect all these wire to get going. i pick one thing out of car, plug one wire into the wall hit power and i am done. and it looks kool with my sweet light. espeshily when i take out my second drive and put in that light & fan controler. i undersatnd about the cuts and do intend to dress them up when i do my new paint. i love the venom theme. all you people who say you dont like it.. why not give me a sugestion also insted of only saying what you dont like? i wanted ideas not gust coments. thanks for all the complements also. and here is an update. i cut the front usb plugs off my old tower and put them on the left side on the case for the key board and mouse to plug into. wont have to mes with opening that access dor at every lan party to plug them in. but will probubly leve them pluged in when transporting any way. i was looking at a few ideas for lan party pc. saw the breaf case still hade to sepirit parts to move. this seems like best solution. pluss sens it is mostly plastic it is super light.
 
Lofapoo said:
Mmm, this case has GREAT potential, it just needs to be cleaned up a whole lot :)

Might I suggest this for the optical drives... take the front panel of an old case with a flat front and cut around the edges of it so you cut out the bay which the drive is layed into. Then cut enough (but not too much) of a hole in the monitor case to fit the piece in, then bondo it and sand it so it looks like it was really meant for drive bays. Viola, no bullshit cuts, no mess, VERY clean. Then simply look into drive-bay stealthing, there are many ways to do it but in the end they all have the same desired effect. Also, those speaker holes for the monitor have got to go. You might aswell just rip the speakers out or don't use them, because I highly doubt the sound quality coming out of them is decent, especially through those holes. Once more, bondo can come in handy here. Bondo will also come in handy for covering up those stock and unused monitor holes, they gotta go aswell! For whatever color choice you plan on using (please, let it be one solid color) get colored anodized screws for the front screws holding the monitor in. This would look great, especially if all the holes are even and parallel from the other, etc. Lights, don't look good in there, but it might be because of that paint scheme, I dunno I just personally despise the color choice (seriously man it hurts the eyes), but LOVE the general idea of this case. MASSIVE potential to stun the hell out of people.

Well the lights might not look right cuss where you see them in my venom theme idea I took that from another pick and stretched it out. So it isent ass clear as it should be. This is how it looks in the dark
P1000239.jpg

To me that is gust so freaking cool!!
Did you look at my new paint idea? It is one color. It’s black. Plus I am not done!!!!! I have said I planed on doing some bondo. I hit it with paint cuss I am out of money and hate the white. I want speakers in the case for LAN parties. I also intend to put a headphone Jake in the front. The kind that turn of the speakers when plugged in for when I don’t want others at a LAN party hearing what I am doing. But thanks for the idea I will stealth the drive. The drive on the right will be replaced with a light effect/fan controller. I posted a linked to it and the headphone Jake earlier
 
here is the two parts i am adding

cpx090_2.gif
this is foing on the front. when i plug in my head fones it turns off the speackers

and

lit-116.jpg


here is what it can do. The Lightbus is used to control your case lighting and fans. Supports over 600 different combinations of lighting effects. Support up to 4 different channels for lights or fans. Fits in a 5.25 inch drive bay.

fan.gif
fan speed

alt1.gif
effect 1

alt2.gif
effect 2

hdd.gif
hdd activity

sound.gif
sound

st.gif
auto or manuol fade

pluss meany more
 
Lofapoo said:
Mmm, this case has GREAT potential, it just needs to be cleaned up a whole lot :)

Might I suggest this for the optical drives... take the front panel of an old case with a flat front and cut around the edges of it so you cut out the bay which the drive is layed into. Then cut enough (but not too much) of a hole in the monitor case to fit the piece in, then bondo it and sand it so it looks like it was really meant for drive bays. Viola, no bullshit cuts, no mess, VERY clean. Then simply look into drive-bay stealthing, there are many ways to do it but in the end they all have the same desired effect.
I dont follow this totaly. so i cut out the plastic part on a flat tower where there drives go??? and then glue this to the frunt of my screen case??? i know i must not be understanding you. can you exsplane this a little more clear. sounds like u have a grate idea for me but i am not following
 
well lots of you here are shootin down my lights. what should i do then. i wont some kinde of Wow affect.something that catchis the eye.
 
I think an elegant or more professional look would catch the eye much more than flashy lights. Take for example the whole concept behind Lian-Li cases - they are elegant and very nicely crafted. They aren't painted with neon green and covered with LEDs (though some people choose to ruin them), they stand out because of their simplicity and utility. If you made a mod that had very smooth edges, a deserving paint scheme and some more ingenuity (which you're doing great on already), I guarantee you could pull it off without a single LED or CCFL.

That said, this mod is a great one and I have considered doing one like it for a long time ever since my old 17 incher died. Keep it coming, and don't go for ricer-type flash.
 
what I would do with something like that, is paint it all flat black, simple as that. more than likely, any "graphics" you put on there are gonna look horrible....no offense, but especially those ones you picked out. As for lights, I would put a single color in there. I love blue neon so that's the color I'd go with, but I think white, red, OR green CCFLs would look sweet in there. Also, place them where they aren't in direct view from the outside. It will show the glow rather than the light itself which, imo looks way cooler.

So to re-cap....

1. one solid (better) outside color.
2. a single lighting color theme.
3. place lighting out of sight of outside.
 
Goat said:
what I would do with something like that, is paint it all flat black, simple as that. more than likely, any "graphics" you put on there are gonna look horrible....no offense, but especially those ones you picked out. As for lights, I would put a single color in there. I love blue neon so that's the color I'd go with, but I think white, red, OR green CCFLs would look sweet in there. Also, place them where they aren't in direct view from the outside. It will show the glow rather than the light itself which, imo looks way cooler.

So to re-cap....

1. one solid (better) outside color.
2. a single lighting color theme.
3. place lighting out of sight of outside.

I'd go a step beyond this and say no cathodes.

Paint it one color (maybe a fade-job if you're feeling really creative). Then light it with LEDs, preferably red, green, or dim yellow, buried deep inside the case. Don't shine them directly out, but shine them on the components, so you get a lot of weird refractions.

Of course, I've always been a fan of the "mysteriously glowing box" look, so that may not be your thing.

Alternately, you could do a much flashier effect by embedding micro-LEDs (like for cell-phones) in some of the outer vent holes, particularly in a pattern. Write or draw something with them, kind of like the "DON'T WALK" street lights.
 
well like we said it's all a mater of opineien i want a flashy case. gust my style. but i did get rid of the cathode cuss i read that warning about it. i am still going to paint it that venom style. for the decals i am going to use this rub on decals. its the same stuff used on that doom 3 case. http://www.decal-paper.com/rub-on-paper.html i am going with the Sunbeam Chameleon Light Kit. http://www.frozencpu.com/lit-115.html The Chameleon Multi-Color Light Kit lights up your computer case and you choose the color. 4 multi-color bright LEDs. The red, green, and blue knobs can be adjusted to change the LED colors. You no longer have to settle for one color when you can pick the color you want any time!! my ideas isent to have the lights blink like crazy i want them to fade in and out slowly. or flash to the gun fire of my came. Its land party bling. lol
lit-115_2.jpg
lit-115.jpg
lit-115_6.jpg
chameleonanimsmall.gif

with this effect
st.gif

i am going to put the color changing nobs on the side of the case.
I am still going to use that fan light controler. one chanle for this and the other three for fans.
 
Back
Top