Monitor out of sync on boot?

MrToilet

Weaksauce
I just installed a new motherboard. The system boots up, posts, shows the CPU, memory, detects IDE drives. Then the screen goes black, and I get a little green box with [Hz ?] floating around on the monitor. I'm guessing that this means my monitor is out of sync? And how the heck do I fix this?

Thanks!

System Specs:
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
Gigabyte K8NSC-939 motherboard
BFG Geforce 6800
Corsair 1 GB TwinX memory
Antec Truepower 430
Samsung 997DF CRT monitor

You could try booting into safemode to see if it'll display properly. If it does, uninstall your video adapter and then reboot. Should turn back on in VGA mode, which will allow you to reinstall and set teh resolution/refresh rate to a tolerated level. Hope that helps.

There may be a simpler way, but I find this works every time I've encountered the problem.

Nope, won't even boot into safe mode. Also- when I try to get into the BIOS, the screen just goes black, and nothing happens. I tried running an old PCI Radeon 7000, and the computer didn't even recognize it. I don't have an extra video card handy, so what can I do?

Could this be a bad power supply? I just bought an Antec TruePower 430 in October, so I don't think so...but I suppose anything is possible?

Back