• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monitor or GPU changing colors on screen?

rivrbyte

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2008
Messages
129
MSI MS7345 Platinum MoBo
DirectX 11
Intel Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
8GB PC6400 DDR2 RAM
NVidia GeForce 8600GT / Viewsonic VX2035 LCD Wide

Hi,
In March 2007, I purchased a new Viewsonic Vx2035wm LCD 20" Widescreen Monitor.

Later on in this year in December of 2007, I purchased a GeForce nVidia 8600GT PCI-E 513MB DDR2 128 BIT GPU.

Are there any signs I may see before either of these two things go out?

I noticed a changing of colors, starting with the boot up language on the screen that is ordinarily white, but once or twice tonight when booting up, the letters and numbers seem to be switching from white to a light pink. I also see color changes on the desktop, and even now, while I'm typing this out in Word, the blank white area on the page seems to be fading in and out.

I checked the Monitor settings and have a screen refresh rate @ 75 Hhz. I have True Color (32 bit) and because my eyesight is getting bad, I have the screen set to 1280x800. I don't know if all, or some of these parameters are correct or not, and maybe causing my problem.

I just re-installed Windows 7 Pro, and installed the most recent drivers for both these devices. Is there any way to pin point which of these two devices could be going out?

Not only TV's are made on an average to last about five years, and if this is the case for these monitors, then I guess it's time. Viewsonic is a good name brand, but I can not believe I paid $300.00 for this monitor only five years ago.

Are there any other tests on these devices to see what going on? I was going to upgrade my GPU when I upgrade my MSI P35 Platinum MoBo with a newer board with DDR3, more memory, and a faster Intel i5, or i7, I'm just not ready to do that right now, if this is the GPU. I think this Mobo had integrated graphics onboard, in case it is the GPU.

Thank you!
 
I recommend trying a different monitor to see if you still experience this problem.
 
A backlight with lots of hours can cause a shift to pink. Is it uniform on a complete white background?

It maybe a bad cable or video card if it is completely uniform, but it may also be the electronics in the monitor. If it's just blotches or in certain areas on the screen, it's probably a bad backlight.

Swap out the video card with another, if you have one, or buy a cheap one for testing purposes. Swap the cable and recheck your connections too. Then try another monitor if you have one.
 
Ok, Thanks.
I called Viewsonic and he had me to change the screen res, from 1280x800 to 1280x1024, and change the refresh rate from 75 to 60 Hz. Went into screen main men and change back to factory settings and refreshed monitor.

The color is not spotty buy uniform. I noticed again today the bootup sequence language on the screen was a light pink then changed to white, I can also see it while writing this message against the white background.

Viewsonic could not tell me what causing it, only to do what you said, and that it to replace video cable or check this monitor on another computer, which so happens, that I have my niece's HP, that she wanted me to some maintenance on it, since it's been sitting around for two years. I'll see and check back.

I have to go into video card settings...but what am I looking for to tweek?
 
This could merely be a loose connector.

I see this sudden shifting of colors in a VGA connector that is not fully seated. Because of the poor connection, one of the color pins doesn't get its signal to the monitor. You don't mention what type of connection you are using, but just in case you are using VGA I thought I'd mention it.
 
Thanks...
VGA....
As it turned out, I have my niece's HP, She wanted me to update new drivers/firmware, and clean up. Using My Monitor and her computer, and her VGA Cable, and now I don't see any problems with the monitor, so it's either MY VGA CABLE, And/or Nvidia Geforce 8600GT at fault. I'll check my cable next, if it 's not that, then it MUST be the 8600GT.
 
Again, to test the monitor you should not have to tweak anything, period.
 
Back
Top