Monitor not waking up when cold

JJ Johnson

Gawd
I have a business system built in 2012 with the following components, using the integrated Intel graphics to drive two identical monitors. The monitors are much older, probably 13-14 years old.

ASUS P8Z77-M PRO motherboard
Intel i5-3570K CPU
Samsung 910T 1280x1024 (x2) monitors

Display #1 is connected to the DVI port, display #2 is connected to the DisplayPort of the motherboard. I've been having increasing problems getting the #2 display to wake up in the morning while the house is cold. I can goose it into waking up (eventually) by changing the screen resolution back and forth from the native 1280x1024 to something else. When it doesn't wake up, the screen flashes momentarily, then goes black again. Once awake, it slowly warms up and gets brighter, then it's fine.

I suspect the monitor is dying, but is there anything else I can do to fix the problem until it's replaced?

No, but that would certainly be easy enough. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I need to try swapping the ports between the monitors also (which would also swap the cables),.

That wasn't it. I swapped the ports of the two monitors and went out for a while. Came back and the same monitor refused to come back. So it's definitely the monitor.

Back