Monitor newb!

Snappshoota

[H]ard|Gawd
Well Im piecing together a new build for next month..

(i5 4690K
ASRock Z87 Extreme4
GTX 970 G1
Etc)

Kinda lost when it come to monitors, I usually just grab the cheapest monitor and call it a day. Though this build Id like to grab a decent monitor.
Current monitor AOC E2470SW ( :( )
Main use; Gaming. Alot of FPS's

Im debating whether to grab 3x 21" Dell P2214's just for a triple monitor setup (mainly for the Display ports), Or should I just grab one good monitor?

I can get all 3 monitors for ~300. So guess my price range is about $300 - $400.

Id love to grab a 3D/Gsync monitor, but for my price, i can only grab a 24".. Though I dunno if that's necessarily a bad thing.

Any pointers?

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever you get, I would stick with 1080P based of the GPU you have listed. I have the EVGA GTX 970 ACX 1.0 Superclocked and games like Dragon Age Inquisition are keeping right at 50-60fps with 2xMSAA and everything else maxed. If you move to a 3 monitor setup or a 1440p monitor you are going to have to start turning settings down to maintain an acceptable frame rate.

Just my personal preference but I found that triple screen landscape set up didn't go too well with fps gaming. It was a joy to use with racing sims and mmos but not fps in my opinion. My recommendation for fps monitor is one with a refresh rate above 60hz. Entry level monitors with a 144hz refresh rate start around ~$250. I use an Asus VG248QE myself and the higher refresh rate is now an absolute must for me when it comes to fps gaming. With your budget of $300-400 you can grab the BenQ XL2420Z as that seems to be the best 144hz monitor within that price range.

Whatever you get, I would stick with 1080P based of the GPU you have listed. I have the EVGA GTX 970 ACX 1.0 Superclocked and games like Dragon Age Inquisition are keeping right at 50-60fps with 2xMSAA and everything else maxed. If you move to a 3 monitor setup or a 1440p monitor you are going to have to start turning settings down to maintain an acceptable frame rate.

Yeah I knew i wouldnt be able to max out everything on a triple monitor setup. Im not all about the graphics to much, I do like the added real estate of 3 monitors tho.

Just my personal preference but I found that triple screen landscape set up didn't go too well with fps gaming. It was a joy to use with racing sims and mmos but not fps in my opinion. My recommendation for fps monitor is one with a refresh rate above 60hz. Entry level monitors with a 144hz refresh rate start around ~$250. I use an Asus VG248QE myself and the higher refresh rate is now an absolute must for me when it comes to fps gaming. With your budget of $300-400 you can grab the BenQ XL2420Z as that seems to be the best 144hz monitor within that price range.

I loved it when i had my last 3 monitor setup. BF3 and Arma 2 definitely benefited from the extra 2 monitors.

How is that Asus monitor? I can get one NIB locally for ~$210

Guess what im wonder is, Is the added refresh rate noticeable? / Worth it?

Back