Monitor in Motion MIM arms

bencho

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
2,093
How many of you guys are using MIM arms?
I've come to realize that I don't need the flexibility of a full range arm. My displays will be stationary once setup. Was looking at the lower end:

Cobra - http://www.monitorsinmotion.com/products/cobra
Sidewinder - http://www.monitorsinmotion.com/products/sidewinder
Copperhead - http://www.monitorsinmotion.com/products/copperhead
Viper - http://www.monitorsinmotion.com/products/viper

I plan to be running u2412m ( eventually ) which are only 8.5lbs or so.
Any comments, recommendations, pros/cons from you guys?
 
You can get functional "fixed" height arms for $20-$50 or so, and excellent fully adjustable arms for $150-$200 or so. Those arms you linked seem over priced for their capabilities.
 
You can get functional "fixed" height arms for $20-$50 or so, and excellent fully adjustable arms for $150-$200 or so. Those arms you linked seem over priced for their capabilities.

What brand and where?
My Monoprice arms are sagging quite a bit right now.
 
Well monoprice was one of the cheap ones, there's also similar ones on ebay, which show up from time to time, no idea if they sag.

I've never been that interested in fixed height arms, so I haven't researched them much. And most of my time has gone into finding arms that work for heavy 27" and 30" displays.

For fully featured, I like the Innovative 7000 series arms, the 7000-1000 and 7000-800 can be found for around $175 shipped. There's also the 7flex, which is basically the same arm, with a lower weight limit, for around $130 or so. A huge advantage of the 7000 series arm is that it can be mounted on the wall or in desk, with no further outlay in mounting brackets.


manufacturer site:
http://www.lcdarms.com/products/LCD_Radial_Arms/7000.html

price search:
https://www.google.com/#q=innovative+7000+lcd+arm&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&fp=1

The peerless LCT-101 is also a nice arm, It can be found for $145 or so, but you usually have to pay extra, or give up desk mounting, to put it on the wall.

price search:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...01&oq=peerless+lct-101&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3

You can find both significantly cheaper on ebay, or craig's list, or the like.

The 7000-500 and/or 800 were OEMed as the "IBM radial arm", which could often be found under $50 used, though the supplies seem to have been diminishing in the last year or 2. But make sure you get one with VESA mounting brackets, some were made for netvista SFF computers and the like.

The LCT-101 is also OEMed as other models, including, the Workrite SA1000, and Viking DIS-501, among others. But, I think it's usually cheapest as the LCT-101.

And finally there are a huge number of monitor arm threads on hardforum already, though admittedly, none has ever gone long enough to really be definitive.
A good google search to find them would be something like:

site:hardforum.com monitor arm

I own one LCT-101 and multiple 7000(and 7500) series arms. I like wall mounting, so I prefer the 7000 series.


For 3 monitor setups(eyefinity), where you absolutely do want the arms all at the same height, a bar mount could be a better choice. I went with a Chief KTA325B, purchasing the stand, crossbar, and pole separately. It was slightly tricky getting the monitors to all be at the same height, so I wasn't super impressed with it. But I'm not aware of a better option.

big hardforum thread on it:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1487008
 
Back
Top