Monitor HDMI + PS3 Sound

ShiningHolden

Limp Gawd
I have a 24" LCD monitor with no built-in speakers. The monitor has an HDMI input, which I use for my PS3.

Is it possible, and if so how, can I use the audio output from the PS3?

From reading up on the PS3 menus, it appears you can select separate video and audio outputs. So for video you can still use HDMI, but audio can use the regular AV cables (multi-out/scart). Now how do you turn RCA plugs into something you can use with your speakers? Easy:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=666&seq=1&format=2

There's a dozen variations of that little plug, but it just combines the two audio channels into a stereo 3.5mm plug. You can put that into your soundcard's line in, or get the version that has a 3.5mm jack on it so you can plug in your speakers directly.

Last edited:
The PS3 has an opyical audio out port as well, so if your audio card has an optical input port you can stay all digital. Yah; I know only high-end audio cards have this, but it is becomming more common.

Dave

You can take the composite cable that came with the PS3, plug it into the PS3 and connect the red and white ends to some speakers; all the while the HDMI is connected. As mentioned, change the audio output on the PS3 menu.

I have the same question except it's for the xbox 360. I'm using a HDMI to dvi connector to the monitor, but how would I get sound to external pc speakers? I can't connect the a/v cable in while the HDMI is connected to the xbox, it doesn't fit. Any ideas?

You can do that hack or spend the moola to get the 360 HDMI kit. It's basically the same HDMI cable but a reduced profile AV adapter that fits in the slot at the same time. Like the cable hack shows, MS deliberately made the cables non interoperable. Considering you have to solder some connector and tear apart a perfectly good cable, I just bought the damn HDMI kit. Overpriced, yes.

Also note that this is the exact same adapter 360 Elite owners get in the box, so if you know a friend or look on Ebay you can get it cheaper.

You can do that hack or spend the moola to get the 360 HDMI kit. It's basically the same HDMI cable but a reduced profile AV adapter that fits in the slot at the same time. Like the cable hack shows, MS deliberately made the cables non interoperable. Considering you have to solder some connector and tear apart a perfectly good cable, I just bought the damn HDMI kit. Overpriced, yes.

Also note that this is the exact same adapter 360 Elite owners get in the box, so if you know a friend or look on Ebay you can get it cheaper.

There's no soldering involved. Just have to stick a screwdriver in that connector without stabbing yourself.

Quoting myself from another thread:

Since Microsoft wants to grab all the money from their customers that they possibly can, they make the A/V cable incompatible with the HDMI cable in a couple ways. First, there's not enough space for them both to be plugged in at the same time unless you break off the plastic casing of the A/V connector.

Second, some models of the 360 will reboot continuously if both cables are plugged in, so you need to put scotch tape over the 6 pins in the bottom left of the A/V connector (on the narrower side of the connector.) Refer to this diagram but note that that diagram is mirrored as it is drawn from the perspective of the wires going into the connector. You need to cover up pins 20-30 on the bottom, which will be on the bottom left side of the part of the connector that goes into the 360.

Back