Monitor Ghost Question

les_garten

Limp Gawd
Hello,
I have a monitor question.

I have a Monoprice 28" 4K CrystalView monitor.

I am running it at 4K with an Nvidia TitanX card

When I scroll the screen I sometimes notice text lagging behind. It is really noticable in a Forum with a Gray background and Black text whcih I will show here.

But I notice this with other blocks of color sometimes.

Why is my display doing this?

This leads me to ask how do I avoid this with my next monitor?

Just watch the text lines move up and down as I scroll and you will see the Black Text lines Ghost white.

The bright trails are overshoot (inverse ghosting) because the overdrive impulse is too strong.
If there is no Response Time setting in the Menu that reduces the strength of the OD you are f'd. To avoid this get a monitor with proper RTC.

The bright trails are overshoot (inverse ghosting) because the overdrive impulse is too strong.
If there is no Response Time setting in the Menu that reduces the strength of the OD you are f'd. To avoid this get a monitor with proper RTC.

Thanx! I just found OD in the Monitor Menu. I disabled it and everything is Mo' better. It was turned Full on. It has like 4 settings, not a number

Off >> Fast >> Faster >> Fastest

It was set on Fastest.

How to optimize it, not sure what advantage turning it on has?

Thanx! I just found OD in the Monitor Menu. I disabled it and everything is Mo' better. It was turned Full on. It has like 4 settings, not a number

It was set on Fastest.

Yeah usually a good guideline is to pick the middle overdrive option. It should have decent amount of ghost reduction and not so often produce these white overshoot. A standard test for this is the UFO Test (Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests)

Yeah usually a good guideline is to pick the middle overdrive option. It should have decent amount of ghost reduction and not so often produce these white overshoot. A standard test for this is the UFO Test (Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests)

The UFO test and the other tests there didn't really show anything to me.

The Black text on a Gray background worked the best, just scrolling up and down.

I went back and forth from the off and the middle "speed" position and wasn't sure the OD setting was helping at all. Maybe just a bit with the clarity of the black text. So I left it there on the Faster setting. Wasn't hurting, might be helping.

So it has 4 settings, not bad (y)
Usually, the bright trails are more noticeable when scrolling text than in games, so you could switch the position depending on usage.

It was set on Fastest.

It's a TN panel. If it conforms to normal RTC/OD settings, and since it's an Innolux panel, you can expect roughly:

Off = 10ms GtG, 20ms BWB
Fast = 7.5/15
Faster = 5/10
Fastest = 2.5/5

Start with off. Despite what marketing would have you beleive (OMGWTF 1ms monitor!!!111), 10ms is outstanding, and there will be zero overshoot. The higher you go, the faster the overall response, but the more overshoot. And what works for you will depend on your personal preferences. For me, I'm good with 12-15ms, but prefer 7-8ms, so I'd go back and forth between "Off" and "Fast" until I settled on one. You may prefer Faster, who knows? But "Fastest" will be nothing but overshoot.

It's a TN panel. If it conforms to normal RTC/OD settings, and since it's an Innolux panel, you can expect roughly:

Off = 10ms GtG, 20ms BWB
Fast = 7.5/15
Faster = 5/10
Fastest = 2.5/5

Start with off. Despite what marketing would have you beleive (OMGWTF 1ms monitor!!!111), 10ms is outstanding, and there will be zero overshoot. The higher you go, the faster the overall response, but the more overshoot. And what works for you will depend on your personal preferences. For me, I'm good with 12-15ms, but prefer 7-8ms, so I'd go back and forth between "Off" and "Fast" until I settled on one. You may prefer Faster, who knows? But "Fastest" will be nothing but overshoot.

Thanx for that info! I'll try the off <<>> Fast back and forth. Fastest really borks things up. Color blocks stack on each other, all kinds of weird stuff. It defaulted to Fastest.

Back