Monitor for Xbox One

-Ever-

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a monitor for my XB1, which simply means that 60hz will suffice. It will be for competitive FPS.

I've always been a "couch gamer" but want to try out a computer monitor + desk. From this I hope to gain a little more upright, attentive of a posture, and hopefully quicker, more competitive of graphics.

I've been eyeing a BenQ that is popular among the competitive xbox crowd, but I'll likely first try things out on my existing 24in monitor to see if I like it. That said, I have two questions:

• How will the 24in Dell compare to a 46in Saumsung? Is it an up/down/side grade?
  • How much better will the BenQ be than the Dell?

Specs:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think you'll definitely see more minute details with a desktop monitor (single pixel discrepancies, showing you enemies hiding/moving), as well as have lower input lag. Only real downgrade could be a downgrade of color saturation (as TVs generally artificially increase them). I would also make sure the monitor has a minimal of ghosting/motion blur.

You will want to find a monitor with a low input lag. The BenQ you reference in your post has a very good 10 ms lag time according to the Display Lag Database. The next thing you'll want to look for is ghosting. A lot of manufacturers try to minimize this by adding overdrive modes to the panel, but it could compromise contrast and black levels. The last thing I can recommend paying attention to is color gamut and reporduction. The last two points can affect your ability to pick out objects during fast moving situations. A good source for this information is TFT Central. All three points I'm sure will factor into any pro gamer's performance.

I've played on a large 55" television with all positives in these categories, but I still prefer playing on my 27" monitor. It's hard to explain, but it is just a lot easier to pick out details and I'm sure you'll see the difference after making the switch.

That brings up another point. I would definitely recommend going for at least a 27" monitor with a native resolution of 1080p/1920x1080 so you won't lose image quality playing your Xbox ONE in a non-native resolution. I found a 24" was way too small, even sitting as close as 1.5 feet away.

Sort of an aside, if you want to improve your posture and ergonomics for health reasons, skip the desk and chair. Sitting is sitting. Get a standing desk. I suppose it is not for everybody, and it takes a little getting used to but I know I'll never go back. Cheapest way to get into it is the TrekDesk on Amazon. It is intended to be a treadmill desk but I just use it by itself.

Just sayin' :)

The Dell 2405 has high input lag and slow pixel response times (obvious ghosting) and uses the wrong color gamut for games since it is wide gamut. The BenQ uses a TN panel and has poor viewing angles.

The Dell P or U2414H are good choices for console gaming, TFT central has reviewed both. The Eizo EV2336 (thread with reviews) is also a good choice (use a dvi-hdmi cord/adepter) and it has a clearer, semi-glossy coating compared to the Dells.

If set up properly the Samsung TV will look better than most monitors and some of the older models have delay free PC modes but it uses an older VA panel so it will suffer from more obvious ghosting vs. the monitors I recommended.

Thanks a bunch for the thoughtful replies.

After reading them, I went back and did some more research and still feel the BenQ is plenty of monitor for XB1 gaming.

That said, just how much better do you think the BenQ will play than the older Dell? In regards to what's been discussed that make it better or worse for FPS gaming.

I have this one here bought it over the Christmas it's Ah-ips "Advanced high in plane switching" was on sales 27" it's great for gaming everyone looks good on it for my PS4 =) I have it set lower then eye level I could of raised it up but found the monitor lower easier on the eyes. I think some TV stands are just too high so that is why you usually see low stands..... You might want to get a bit bigger then 27" though like a 32" inch monitor but you pay a arm and leg for a PC monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/VX279Q-27-Inc...TF8&qid=1391551510&sr=8-11&keywords=27+ah-ips

After reading them, I went back and did some more research and still feel the BenQ is plenty of monitor for XB1 gaming.

That said, just how much better do you think the BenQ will play than the older Dell? In regards to what's been discussed that make it better or worse for FPS gaming.

Why do you want a TN panel with poor viewing angles and worse colors compared to similarly priced models like the Dell P2414H? The Dell 2405 is a 16:10 monitor and the new consoles do not support 16:10 resolutions so it will stretch the image. The 2405 sucks compared to the majority of modern monitors.

----

The Nixeus has really poor black levels (Anandtech's review), higher input lag compared to the Dell P & U series and console games are limited to 1080p.

just get a cheap 720p monitor.

xbox one is barely more powerful than xbox360, both run games in native 720p.

just get a cheap 720p monitor.

xbox one is barely more powerful than xbox360, both run games in native 720p.

Please go troll somewhere else with misinformation :rolleyes:

Im in a similar situation, Im looking for a ~$200 24-27in 1080P monitor good for gaming, that doesn't have BLB, PWM, or high input lag.

I'm curious what setting I should set the resolution of my Xbox to. Thanks guys.

Bump.

I played on the old Dell for the first time lastnight. The ghosting was insane.

How much better will the BenQ be?

As someone that has tried several different monitors for console gaming I would recommend you check out a 27" 1080p IPS monitor that's known to have minimal input lag and ghosting. I tried a couple of fast 24" monitors like the Eizo FG2421 which is a lot better than the Benq you're looking at and didn't like how small everything was and felt it impacted my ability to see people as quickly and aim as well in shooters.

Here is the LG 27" IPS monitor I've been using for gaming on the Xbox One and PS4 and it works well for me:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/27-ips-led-hd-monitor/7979086.p?id=1218863183326&skuId=7979086&st=lg 27"&cp=1&lp=1

It gets a lot of great reviews and usually goes on sale once a month at Best Buy if you want to wait.

Figured I'd bump this rather than make a new thread. I'm in the same boat, any other suggestions for a 27 inch with low input lag and ghosting?

XL2411Z and XL2720Z when have firmware V2 can be enabled via http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/
Thanks for the link XoR, I've been reading the forums there and I found this post in response to the same question:

This site is mainly about "Better Than 60Hz" displays, including 120Hz displays. You won't be able to take advantage of 120Hz with a console with these computer monitors. The MX279H is a nice IPS display good for consoles, but if you came here to find ways to reduce motion blur (getting a more CRT-motion-sharp experiennce) instead of better colors, you could be interested in the BENQ Z-Series monitor 144Hz monitor also capable of 60Hz strobing with consoles including XB1 / PS4, if you are able to play a lot of 60fps games. Be noted, not everyone likes 60Hz flicker.

That said, if you prefer good color quality over crystal clear motion, then the 1080p IPS displays tend to be the best, and the ASUS MX279H is high-rated display with plenty of good reviews on Amazon, if you're looking to play XB360/XB1 or PS3/PS4 games.

But not all console games run 60fps so will I see issues with this 60hz strobing in games that run sub 60fps?

30fps with strobing will give you double ghost image instead of normal hold&sample motion blur you will get without strobing. It look sharper, and detail recognition is somewhat better but can be little disturbing at low persistence times but at higher times will look good

I hadn't tested those monitors but have comparison between strobed displays with low persistence (CRT) and medium persistence (plasma) and while on CRT 30fps games look kinda disturbing (as this double image effect is too strong) on plasma they look great, much better clarity than on any sample&hold display and double image is not really noticeable.

thankfully those BenQ allow for adjustment so compromise can be found, even if you wouldn't like to tweak settings for each game some kind of medium settings will be fine for both 30 and 60 fps games

biggest improvement in strobed 60Hz you will see in 2D indie games. There is just be or not to be for some fast paced scrolled games :cool:

30fps with strobing will give you double ghost image instead of normal hold&sample motion blur you will get without strobing. It look sharper, and detail recognition is somewhat better but can be little disturbing at low persistence times but at higher times will look good

I hadn't tested those monitors but have comparison between strobed displays with low persistence (CRT) and medium persistence (plasma) and while on CRT 30fps games look kinda disturbing (as this double image effect is too strong) on plasma they look great, much better clarity than on any sample&hold display and double image is not really noticeable.

thankfully those BenQ allow for adjustment so compromise can be found, even if you wouldn't like to tweak settings for each game some kind of medium settings will be fine for both 30 and 60 fps games

biggest improvement in strobed 60Hz you will see in 2D indie games. There is just be or not to be for some fast paced scrolled games :cool:

So what exactly would i need to tweak or change between a 30fps game and a 60fps game and is there anyway to easily make them presets so i can jump between the settings as needed?

here is unfortunately where my knowledge end
I suspect it to be some kind of hack that work like this : connect hdmi to pc => change settings => connect hdmi to xbone => never turn down power to monitor for 60Hz flickering to work.

If you have your XBone next to PC then some kind of hdmi switch might be of use to make this rather into simple operation

actually I do not know technical details. You will have search Blurbuster site/forum for that if you are interested.

other than that if you want non-blurred 60fps games you have options like:
- Panasonic plasma (they do flicker)
- Sony Motionflow Impulse (similar technique that those BenQ employ)
- use old CRT like GDM-FW900

or just buy normal 1080p 60Hz LCD, preferably 27" 1080p IPS and forget the no-blur thing completely. You know best if you hate blur or do not care about it that much or what are framerates on XBone or framerates for upcoming games (this is apparently hot topic lately). Also factor in if you play or will play on PC cause 144Hz support is biggest reason to buy such monitor

and if that is just to play games and have more bucks to spend then probably best will be some plasma or sony motionflow tv

I have this one here bought it over the Christmas it's Ah-ips "Advanced high in plane switching" was on sales 27" it's great for gaming everyone looks good on it for my PS4 =) I have it set lower then eye level I could of raised it up but found the monitor lower easier on the eyes. I think some TV stands are just too high so that is why you usually see low stands..... You might want to get a bit bigger then 27" though like a 32" inch monitor but you pay a arm and leg for a PC monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/VX279Q-27-Inc...TF8&qid=1391551510&sr=8-11&keywords=27+ah-ips

I have that asus monitor and it's pretty damned nice for the price.

In my opinion, BenQ. Its what MLG Gamers use. But I would use the BenQ XL24

Any reason for the 24 over the 27 besides personal preference? I know the 27 has all those extra inputs that the cheaper 2411Z doesn't have so it's prolly got a bit less input lag.

Back