Monitor flicker with 7900Gs

Snobok

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, I have been having a small problem with my 7900GS card. First off, what follows are my system specs for reference:

C2D E6300 (1.86ghz)
Biostar Tforce P965T mobo
4gb (2*2gb) Corsair XMS DDR2-800
Corsair HX520 PSU
DVD burner, case,etc
Video card Driver version: 180.?? (its the newest version I could get)

What's happening:

I'll be using my computer as normal. Randomly it seems, the screen will just go black for a second or so and then turn back on as normal. This does not occur during gaming. This flicker of sorts seems to happen every few minutes or so, and sometimes the screen will flicker two or three times in a row before returning to normal. My friend had the same problem with his 7900gs and it eventually died on him.

I might add that I recently reformatted the system and updated to the latest drivers in my attempts to fix this. I had the same problem on my old install of XP. I also tried backtracking to the 178.24 drivers, but that did not help.

I guess my first step would be to test it with another nvidia card (which I don't have an extra) to see if I still have the same problem, but I wanted to see if anyone had experienced the same problem. I used to have my processor overclocked but now just keep it at stock speeds; I wonder if that might have caused any problems.

What monitor do you have? Im just curious... my monitor does this and it has a known issue regardless of videocard. Also have you tried both DVI ports? are you using VGA or DVI on your monitor?

i think he use vga use the other one
4e0d67e54ad6626e957d15b08ae128a6.jpg
cd0dce8fca267bf1fb86cf43e18d5598.jpg

I am currently using a 20" Acer LCD and have it connected to my computer via the DVI port.

I am currently using a 20" Acer LCD and have it connected to my computer via the DVI port.

Okay. Try disconnecting the Monitor from the power adapter for like an hour and then replug it in. Tell us if it still flickers. I have an ACER 24" and it flickers and its due to the fact that it overheats over time due to some power defect and needs to be unplugged and cooled. This may or may not be the cast but i would test it first.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I tried leaving my monitor unplugged overnight. After I plugged it in and turned it on, I noticed that the flickering did not start happening for about 15 minutes. Afterwards, the flicker occurred as before.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I tried leaving my monitor unplugged overnight. After I plugged it in and turned it on, I noticed that the flickering did not start happening for about 15 minutes. Afterwards, the flicker occurred as before.

Yeah, sounds like a good ole acer monitor issue. Now have you tried to run this monitor on another system or another monitor on this system to further confirm this issue?

Back