• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monitor experts needed! Help a Newb

towert7

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 18, 2003
Messages
2,930
So, I hear all this bad stuff about 22" monitors being 6bit LN based panels.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Lenovo D221 beyond what it says in the specs: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-66821

Says 16.7mil color.... but not sure if there are 6bit LN panels that do true 16.7mil colors.
Can be had for 310$ with MIR.

I have a somewhat old Sony SDM-HS93/B 19" LCD, and It's one of the best LCD monitors I have ever used in terms of color reproduction and viewing angle (the thing hardly distorts even at extream angles). This was very important for me, doing lots of amature web design and graphic design.

I'm trying to upgrade my monitor to a slightly bigger one. I like larger dot pitches (need large text!!!), so natually i'm attracted to the 22". Problem is, I havn't found one with good enough viewing angles or 16.7mil+ colors.

Looking to stay sub 500$.

I was also considering the Samsung 204B. My uncle has one, and I've seen it in my professors office, and it have very nice viewing angles..... but havn't had a chance to test out colors.

My sony is a analog 15pin cable, and surprisingly it's one of the best i've ever used, so I don't need DVI-D, just a monitor with extreamly good color and viewing angle. Oh, and no glossy screens....... I can't stand them (need matte).

It seems every time I find a monitor that looks like it will fit, when I read the reviews I see negative reviews of major problems (input lag, horizontal/vertical lines of pixles die, bad viewing angles, company logo screens on powerup......).

I appreciate your help,
~Drew
 
i think its tn not ln. but yea the tn panels dont come in 16.7 million colors. they have some dithering thing that makes it seem like it is. also look at the westinhouse, lg, acer and samsung 22" monitors.
 
Just curious, why you need wide viewing angle for graphic design? :confused:

I work on web design alot and don't really need great viewing angles as I work in front of the monitor. I only need good viewing angles for watching movies.
 
Just curious, why you need wide viewing angle for graphic design? :confused:

I work on web design alot and don't really need great viewing angles as I work in front of the monitor. I only need good viewing angles for watching movies.

I can't have it where:
I am looking directly on level with the monitor, and colors are different on the edges than that of the center. I need to see the colors as the are, not distorted. My laptop has horrible viewing angles. Looking directly at it, the bottom has different colors than the top, even though they are the same color. That does not make for a good thing when it comes to web design and graphic design.

^_^
 
Just curious, why you need wide viewing angle for graphic design? :confused:

I work on web design alot and don't really need great viewing angles as I work in front of the monitor. I only need good viewing angles for watching movies.

I wish people would clue in that for critical work,or even just for people annoyed with inconsistency, this has nothing to do with sitting off at an angle, or viewing the screen from the side. Poor viewing angles cause issues when you are perfectly centered. Look at this shot. It is not a gradient but a solid tone. But on TN panel it looks like a gradient. Want the best viewing angles get a S-IPS monitor. I recommend the HP LP2065 for NEC 2070NX. They all have 8 bit color as well.

70038474.RUGnlXjd.TN_Shift.jpg
 
Back
Top