monitor died :( recommendations?

WAR2K

Weaksauce
Hello everyone!

So my monitor finally bit the dust :( turned it in this morning then about 2 minutes later it lost power and wouldn't turn back on no matter what I tried. So I am now in the market for a new one! Unfortunately my knowledge in the many technologies is very limited. I guess my question would be, does anyone have any recommendations based off my uses? You guys are the experts after all :D

My monitor I had:
1920x1200 Soyo Topaz S.

What I am looking for:
I play a lot of games, so low input lag would be amazing. From my understanding there is a technology called lightboost that is supposed to bring it down to where it is almost non existing. The only issue is that it is not very bright at all. I went to my local Fry's Electronics and found some 3D monitors and activated the 3D and it was indeed.. Very dark. Is there something I was doing wrong? Or any monitors that might be brighter? What are your thoughts on it? I only have a gtx 670 and i don't know how well it will stand in doing a constant 100-120 FPS also.

Also 120hz is supposed to be nice from what I have heard! From what I understand even running 60fps on a 120hz monitor is still really good, right?

As far as image quality, I would of course like something possibly on par with what I already had, or even better of course :D

Thanks for any help with choosing my next monitor :D hopefully you guys can help me from pulling my hair out trying to choose the best stuff for me lol.

You need to decide if you want 1080p or 1440p+ and go from there.

Hmm, would hate to lose some resolution so probably atleast 1920x1200 or anything decent that is higher. I should try hooking up my computer to my TV and see if going from 1200 to 1080 is a difference that would bug me. Anyone else go from 1920x1200 to 1080p and notice a difference gaming-wise?

I'm my experience, never go smaller. It will bother you, I hate working on people computers with smaller screens, same as gaming on a friends smaller tv. But you will not notice it after a while. Unless you use a friends bigger screen again.

Hmm, would hate to lose some resolution so probably atleast 1920x1200 or anything decent that is higher. I should try hooking up my computer to my TV and see if going from 1200 to 1080 is a difference that would bug me. Anyone else go from 1920x1200 to 1080p and notice a difference gaming-wise?

I did, but that was after a week or two after not using my 1200, and no, it didn't really bother me ( i actually forgot that I de-graded in resolution)

if you have them side by side you'll probably notice it though.

I did, but that was after a week or two after not using my 1200, and no, it didn't really bother me ( i actually forgot that I de-graded in resolution)

if you have them side by side you'll probably notice it though.

Luckily that won't be a problem since the monitor is dead :p Sounds like if I were to go from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 won't be too much of a problem. Now if I were to go from 1440p to 1080p i'd almost immediately notice.

I guess the question is really, could my GTX 670 even drive a 1440p screen at decently high settings in games?

Or is there a way to test/buy a screen and possibly return it later if it isn't something I want. My issue is that there are so many things I have never tested so I don't know if they are things I would even want. I don't know if the Amazon return policies actually allow that and wouldn't want to be stuck with a monitor I find that I don't like and the Fry's/Best Buy don't really have their monitors set-up to test any of that stuff.

I think walmart has a 90? day return they have a viewsonic VP2770 which I hear is really good.

I don't really know of a store that actually displays these displays.. they have none in-store.

so you could try bestbuy, walmart, and then return it.

1080p/1200 to 1440 would definitely be noticeable.

The lightboost monitors you are talking about are ALL 1080p though.

try them out, keep the one you like?

Luckily that won't be a problem since the monitor is dead :p Sounds like if I were to go from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 won't be too much of a problem. Now if I were to go from 1440p to 1080p i'd almost immediately notice.

I guess the question is really, could my GTX 670 even drive a 1440p screen at decently high settings in games?

Or is there a way to test/buy a screen and possibly return it later if it isn't something I want. My issue is that there are so many things I have never tested so I don't know if they are things I would even want. I don't know if the Amazon return policies actually allow that and wouldn't want to be stuck with a monitor I find that I don't like and the Fry's/Best Buy don't really have their monitors set-up to test any of that stuff.

That entirely depends on the individual game.

I highly recommend 1440P. The resolution and the DPI - it's just so beautiful.

But yes, your high-end GPU lust will be properly in full gear as a result. Note even with a 780, I lower quality settings so I'm always >100fps. Though for some games, even 100fps is not possible lol.
Anyway, back on your options, you can go with the refurb 2713HMs or the PLS Korean monitors. Heck, or you can go with the Monoprice 27-inchers so you have a solid return policy. There's such an abundance of options at 27" now.

I highly recommend 1440P. The resolution and the DPI - it's just so beautiful.

But yes, your high-end GPU lust will be properly in full gear as a result. Note even with a 780, I lower quality settings so I'm always >100fps. Though for some games, even 100fps is not possible lol.
Anyway, back on your options, you can go with the refurb 2713HMs or the PLS Korean monitors. Heck, or you can go with the Monoprice 27-inchers so you have a solid return policy. There's such an abundance of options at 27" now.

That is the problem, is I know I would want to buy a new video card. Mine isn't even 6 months old! I don't know how much I can justify spending the money on a new one haha. I may not be poor, but I am certainly not rich :(

I think the best decision for me might be to try one of the 120hz/Lightboost monitors and see how that goes. That way I get to see exactly how much each of them effects me. If I happen to not like being stuck at 1080p or Lightboost, I can always return it and invest in a 1440p monitor. Sounds like a good idea to me atleast =o

I looked at some older threads and there are two that are recommended several times. They are:
BenQ XL2720T
ASUS VG278H

Would these be good monitors based on what I want to try and do? My biggest worry is the low brightness on Lightboost, and the bad colors that can come with it. One person mentions that the Asus one was pretty good at the colors though?

Back