Monitor Can't Display Blue?

Requiem

Limp Gawd
I just got one of my monitors (a 6 year old 17" LCD) out of storage, where it has been for about 3 months, and now it cannot display any blue. The screen appears yellow-green and when I try to do color correction changing the blue amount has no effect. When I try to view something blue on the screen it appears dark yellow or black. When the monitor isn't connected to my desktop, it does self-diagnostic stuff and all the colors are correct. I run dual monitors so I tried to switch video card ports and DVI-VGA adapters but I still get the same effect. This makes me think that the problem is the actual VGA cable from the monitor, which is unfortunately connected permanently to the monitor. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this problem? Thanks!

You could work the cable around a bit and zip tie it in place if the color comes back in, it sounds like a broken wire near the connector.

If it is mashed almost 90 degrees try pulling it to the opposite side of where it normally rests.

This is just a temporary fix though, save up for a replacement as the cable will degrade to where it will not make contact no matter the orientation.

Not a possible fix, but this could at least be a way of verifying if the cable really is the problem: See if the monitor has any built-in test pattern or image display that includes something in blue. If not that, it could even help if any of the on-screen menus or messages includes (or can include, via some settings) anything in blue.

If you find any such thing that includes the color blue for which the monitor generates the image internally, and its blue is showing up just fine, then you know the problem is somewhere in the VGA cable or beyond (e.g., the jack at the end).

If you don't find any such thing, you'd also first have to discount the possibility that the reason you're not noticing anything in blue in the built-in menus or test signals may be because of just such an internal "blue malfunction" even though some of those display elements are in fact supposed to be blue. To discount that possibility, you can look up printed screenshots of those same on-screen displays in the user manual (if it's in color) or you can do an image search online using the monitor's model number (if you're lucky) to see if anyone may have posted a photo or screenshot of them as part of a review or something, and compare it with what you see.

Not a possible fix, but this could at least be a way of verifying if the cable really is the problem: See if the monitor has any built-in test pattern or image display that includes something in blue. If not that, it could even help if any of the on-screen menus or messages includes (or can include, via some settings) anything in blue.

If you find any such thing that includes the color blue for which the monitor generates the image internally, and its blue is showing up just fine, then you know the problem is somewhere in the VGA cable or beyond (e.g., the jack at the end).

If you don't find any such thing, you'd also first have to discount the possibility that the reason you're not noticing anything in blue in the built-in menus or test signals may be because of just such an internal "blue malfunction" even though some of those display elements are in fact supposed to be blue. To discount that possibility, you can look up printed screenshots of those same on-screen displays in the user manual (if it's in color) or you can do an image search online using the monitor's model number (if you're lucky) to see if anyone may have posted a photo or screenshot of them as part of a review or something, and compare it with what you see.

Already did this and the blue functions perfectly in the self-test mode. I've tried switching around the adapters and ports and none of the pins on the cable are bent. I tried moving around the hardwired end of the cable but that didn't help at all. I have a soldering iron and quite a bit of EE background so I think I'll open up the base of the monitor and take a look around...

Already did this and the blue functions perfectly in the self-test mode.

That indicates that it's not a problem related to the fundamentals of the display (to state the obvious).

Keep in mind that connectivity does not end at the jack behind the display. The broken conductor for blue could also be between the input jack on the display and the rest of its internal circuitry (which you might be able to diagnose if you're lucky, when you get in there like you say you will).

Opened up the monitor and didn't seen any obvious signs of damage. I traced the signal from the VGA connector to the connector on the monitor board for all color wires. The two blue wires had connectivity so the cable is not the problem. I got a bit fed up with it and cut the main blue wire and there was no apparent color change on the monitor. Then I cut the red wire and there was a noticeable change. This leads me to believe that something more internal is wrong with the blue. I can't afford to spend too much more time trying to fix this so I think I'll just use my pure green monitor until I order a new one...

I can't afford to spend too much more time trying to fix this so I think I'll just use my pure green monitor until I order a new one...

Just like in the olden days!...

(Sorry to hear that, by the way.)

Back