Monitor Calibration Systems and you!

CalMan is one...and it's designed to work with the Spyder2 colorimeter and possibly others by now. It's the best from what I hear but it isn't free..
Thanks for the info. It appears that this program allows for a bit more control over the colorimeter and has a bit more features. The only draw back is the cost and learning curve IMO.

CalMan

I have a Samsung 226BW and would just like some help with setting up the monitor so I'm looking at getting a monitor calibration system. I know I only have a TN panel so I don't want to go overboard. I'm looking at the Huey or the Spyder2Express and was wondering which one is better? Thanks.

Here is an image I found that anyone can use to see how their monitor behaves. It skin tones should be as natural as possible.
Hey Eastcoasthandle, thanks for all the research and extras you're providing. You're piquing my curiousity with crt monitors again. This is a double edged sword though since i'm now researching calibration systems and high-end crt monitor deals (i have multiple workstations at home and could always use a good backup) and will soon spend a minor fortune thanks to you! :p

PS: i had posted this elsewhere but if anyone with a direct-view CRT display needs a degaussing wand to freshen up their colors and contrast, check these prices out: http://electronics.search.ebay.com/_Televisions_W0QQcatrefZC2QQsacatZ11071QQsassZdiscounttown

I have a Samsung 226BW and would just like some help with setting up the monitor so I'm looking at getting a monitor calibration system. I know I only have a TN panel so I don't want to go overboard. I'm looking at the Huey or the Spyder2Express and was wondering which one is better? Thanks.
Not sure but the spyder2express does get high marks for such an inexpensive product. There is aftermarket software that is compatible with the Spyder2 colorimeter dongle that offers greater control and flexibility than the bundled software, one of them is a free download but i can't remember the name for the life of me. More info about calibration systems right here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Edit: found the FREE calibration software suite right here: ColorHCFR. Still need a colorimeter but there's a link below to a DIY solution.

ColorHCFR is compatible with these Colorimeters:

- HCFR probe (Do-it-yourself). >>
- Colorvision Spyder2, Edit: may not be compatible with all spyder colorimeters, research this further before purchasing
- XRite DTP-94 (AKA Monaco Optix).
- GMB/Xrite/Pantone Eye-One Display2/LT.
- Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Pro.

Not sure but the spyder2express does get high marks for such an inexpensive product. There is aftermarket software that is compatible with the Spyder2 colorimeter dongle that offers greater control and flexibility than the bundled software, one of them is a free download but i can't remember the name for the life of me. More info about calibration systems right here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Edit: found the FREE calibration software suite right here: ColorHCFR. Still need a colorimeter but there's a link below to a DIY solution.

- Colorvision Spyder2.
Very cool...I'm on avs now and then but somehow I missed this.:cool: Is there any kind of guide available for stupid n00bs? I have a Spyder2 colorimeter and I've downloaded this program but don't even know how to get started.:confused:

Very cool...I'm on avs now and then but somehow I missed this.:cool: Is there any kind of guide available for stupid n00bs? I have a Spyder2 colorimeter and I've downloaded this program but don't even know how to get started.:confused:
No idea, might want to get creative with your search terms though, maybe try hitting up AVS's search or your favorite search engine.

If i find anything i'll be sure to post it here :)

Hey Eastcoasthandle, thanks for all the research and extras you're providing. You're piquing my curiousity with crt monitors again. This is a double edged sword though since i'm now researching calibration systems and high-end crt monitor deals (i have multiple workstations at home and could always use a good backup) and will soon spend a minor fortune thanks to you! :p

PS: i had posted this elsewhere but if anyone with a direct-view CRT display needs a degaussing wand to freshen up their colors and contrast, check these prices out: http://electronics.search.ebay.com/_Televisions_W0QQcatrefZC2QQsacatZ11071QQsassZdiscounttown

No Problem :D
-----------------------------
As far as 3rd party colorimeter programs are concerned I found them to have a high learning curve. Although they provide more features that allow you to tweak your colorimeter I haven't found no (step by step) instructions on how to use the program. Honestly, tweaking your monitor for better color should not be a trial by error process. I would use caution when dealing with them IMO. The authors of these 3rd party programs should provide simple instructions on how to use it AND how it affects your monitor.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I might get the Spyder2 as it seems the most popular and may have some 3rd party support. I'll keep looking though and hopefully find some more reviews.

No Problem :D
-----------------------------
As far as 3rd party colorimeter programs are concerned I found them to have a high learning curve. Although they provide more features that allow you to tweak your colorimeter I haven't found no (step by step) instructions on how to use the program. Honestly, tweaking your monitor for better color should not be a trial by error process. I would use caution when dealing with them IMO. The author of these 3rd party programs should provide simple instructions on how to use it AND how it affects your monitor.

As long as you don't access the service menu there is no danger in trail and error with the settings. In my case if I screw things up...I can simply do a factory reset and then run my Spyder2 program to get things back to normal. Of course I'm sure these third party programs dig much deeper than the settings available through the OSD..

As long as you don't access the service menu there is no danger in trail and error with the settings. In my case if I screw things up...I can simply do a factory reset and then run my Spyder2 program to get things back to normal. Of course I'm sure these third party programs dig much deeper than the settings available through the OSD..

If you get the hang of it lets us know what each option does and how we can use it. We can all learn from this.

Here is an example of what crush blacks look like on your monitor
1st pic is normal. You can see the radiator on the lower left side.

cimg1212smallha7.png

cimg1212crushsmallle6.png

(by seemore)
As you can see in the 2nd pic the lower left side is completely dark. From my understanding this is do to a monitor that does not display shadows correctly. Areas that are suppose to be lit are not. As if certain tones of gray and other neutral colors are darker then normal.
In order to fix this here is what you work with:

* Contrast (picture) applies a scale factor (gain) to the red, green, and blue signals. It affects the luminance that is reproduced for a full white input signal
* Brightness (black level) adds or subtracts an offset, or bias, into the red, green, and blue signals. It controls backlight luminance
* Sharpness (detail)
* Tint (hue)
* Color (saturation)

You always adjust Brightness first then Contrast.
Brightness: black levels
Contrast: white levels (more or less)
Please watch this video it really explains how you make the proper adjustments.
Video showing how to adjust contrast & brightness

Also here is a true HD video I found using QuickTime.
BBC Motion Gallery: Japan

If you decide to purchase a colorimeter, monitor calibration system make sure you go online and register the product. There maybe other updates available.

Does anyone here use Colorvision Spyder 2 Suite? I bought one because it was cheap $100+18 Shipping. I was dissapointed by it though, everytime I try to calibrate this on my Dell 2407WFP the result was just making it darker. It getting darker everytime I calibrate it. And you can't change or calibrate the Luminance because it's only available in the Pro version. Should I get the Pro version? It is really worth the extra $100? I'm not getting good result with the Spyder 2. It just make everything darker.

Does anyone here use Colorvision Spyder 2 Suite? I bought one because it was cheap $100+18 Shipping. I was dissapointed by it though, everytime I try to calibrate this on my Dell 2407WFP the result was just making it darker. It getting darker everytime I calibrate it. And you can't change or calibrate the Luminance because it's only available in the Pro version. Should I get the Pro version? It is really worth the extra $100? I'm not getting good result with the Spyder 2. It just make everything darker.
Make sure you are in a dark room or wait until tonight to calibrate the monitor. Make sure all the lights are off. Even if there is sunlight in the room this will effect the calibration of the colorimeter. I have that model and it works flawless for me as long as the room is dark.

Even though the Spyder program does adjust the gamma in your videocard drivers, I've found that ignoring the instructions to leaving the panel at default brightness and set it to your preference beforehand won't really mess with the calibration. However, if this is your first try at calibration then things WILL seem darker to you because we are all used to tv's/displays in torch mode from the showroom floor and many stay that way even when we get them in our livingroom.

On the Spyder2 review I prefer the "before" image rather than the "after" image. Personally I think these devices are for people who are either lazy or have eye problems. :)
so we must be too "lazy" to reach a foot in front of us and press some buttons or need to go to the eye doctor because we all may be color blind?:confused:

man thats funny:D. nice troll attempt...
really calibrators are made for people who do printing, so what prints out looks the same as on the monitor:)

you're probably used to looking at red people along with red buildings and red skies, kind of like a friend of mine who thinks the unbelievably washed out reds and factory default settings on his tv are the way its SUPPOSED to look. :rolleyes:

- Colorvision Spyder2.

i cant get this software to work with my spyder2express, it says there is no calibration sensor (it cant find the spyder) no matter how many times i try.

this is confirmed on the AVS forums link

i cant get this software to work with my spyder2express, it says there is no calibration sensor (it cant find the spyder) no matter how many times i try.

this is confirmed on the AVS forums link

I had the same problem when I tried to monkey around with it a couple days ago...I thought I was simply not doing something right and with no guide/instructions I couldn't figure out exactly what that was.

IMO, I would just stick with the program that comes with the colorimeter. Even if it means paying for it or paying to upgrade the software is still better then the pure frustration trying to figure out how the free programs operates (reading 100's of posts, trial/error, etc). It's time consuming enough to get that "perfect calibration". You really don't want to add to it trying to figure out how the program actually works.

Make sure you are in a dark room or wait until tonight to calibrate the monitor. Make sure all the lights are off. Even if there is sunlight in the room this will effect the calibration of the colorimeter. I have that model and it works flawless for me as long as the room is dark.

The manual that come with the Spyder 2 is somewhat confusing. First, it stated that the resolution should be set to 1280 X 768, which don't make much sense because mine is running at native 1920 X 1200 resolution. I don't see why setting it to a lower resolution making it any better. Then it say switch to 16bits of colors, but when you use the software it tell you to make sure you are not using 16bits but rather 32bits. Huh? It also suggested that there should be no light coming at the monitor such as ceiling light. But it also stated monitor calibration should be done with same lighting when you are using your monitor. At this point I was like WTF! So if I turn off all light, doesn't it beat the purchase it should be calibrate with the same lighting using when using the monitor?

And for the picture of that factory, which one should I be aiming at? The top or the bottom one?

I was confused on the instruction it come with ColorVision the Spyder 2 give. First it stated it set to lower resolution such as 1280 x 768, which don't make much sense. Then it say switch to 16bits of color. huh!? But on in the software it said make sure color is not set to 16bits. It also say make sure all desk lamp light is turn off and no day light is coming through the monitor. It say make sure ceiling light is shield away from the monitor, but it also say Calibrate should be done in the current light when using the monitor. At this point I was like WTF! So if I turn off all light, doesn't it beat the purchase it should be calibrate with the same lighting using the monitor?

And for the picture of that factory, which one should I be aiming at? The top or the bottom one?
It asks you to set it to a minimum of 16bits, 1280x768. That means if your computer is higher then that you are OK

I was confused on the instruction it come with ColorVision the Spyder 2 give. First it stated it set to lower resolution such as 1280 x 768, which don't make much sense. Then it say switch to 16bits of color. huh!? But on in the software it said make sure color is not set to 16bits. It also say make sure all desk lamp light is turn off and no day light is coming through the monitor. It say make sure ceiling light is shield away from the monitor, but it also say Calibrate should be done in the current light when using the monitor. At this point I was like WTF! So if I turn off all light, doesn't it beat the purchase it should be calibrate with the same lighting using the monitor?

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that english is not your first language..if not then it's understandable that you have confusion with the instructions. You might try contacting Colorvision and see if they have translated instructions in your native language.

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that english is not your first language..if not then it's understandable that you have confusion with the instructions. You might try contacting Colorvision and see if they have translated instructions in your native language.

My English is perfectly fine. I was in a rush to write that so it may not make much sense. Why would I try contacting Colorvsion for instructions in my own native language? It's their lame instruction and short description which make it confusing. It's not even really a manual, but a short paper with short instructions. It stated in the manual that you should set it to 1024 X 768 and colors to 16Bits. Then when you use the Spyder 2 software, it say make sure the monitor color isn't set to 16Bits, so I'm assuming 32Bits? Then it tell you to cover up all light, but it also tell you to Calibrate your monitor in the same lighting when you use your monitor. If it tell you to shield away all lighting or even turn off all the light, wouldn't this make any sense because it tell you to Calibrate your monitor under same lighting when using the monitor, which mean in my case I use the monitor with my ceiling light on.

Hope that clear it up, and I'm going to re-edit my post because I notice some error in it.

I agree that there is little or no support. Colorvisions support page is useless.I bought this 3 days ago and it sits in its box doing nothing.I was under the impression that this would calibrate my lcd and load a profile.And yes the instructions are confusing and of very little help.After installing the drivers I rebooted and on reboot Spyder2 tells me no color profiles loaded .At this point I havent even plugged the usb sensor in.So I plug it in and xp recogonizes the usb sensor.I start the program and get a error....I click next after clicking ok and get a new page with a new error that the meter is not sensing.I click ok and get to where you put the meter on the screen and go through the color process.At the end it says color profile has been loaded .But there is no change.I reboot...Colorvision tells me color profile loaded but there is no change????? My desktop is still the same no changes in color or anything.I look in my color profiles and find a spyder2 profile ....so now what ???am I supposed to do something with it ???? I know what I would like to do with it and this piece of junk Spyder2....cant return it as from newegg and no return on this...Sure am not going to make a international call for tech support which looks to also be useless.I have also loaded the spyder2 profile in color management and made it defualt...no change.I did a complete reinstall of xp all latest greatest drivers for my Nvidia 9700 gt sli....no change...bios uptodate...all xp updates ...no change.
Anyone got any ideas ?????????

My English is perfectly fine. I was in a rush to write that so it may not make much sense. Why would I try contacting Colorvsion for instructions in my own native language? It's their lame instruction and short description which make it confusing. It's not even really a manual, but a short paper with short instructions. It stated in the manual that you should set it to 1024 X 768 and colors to 16Bits. Then when you use the Spyder 2 software, it say make sure the monitor color isn't set to 16Bits, so I'm assuming 32Bits? Then it tell you to cover up all light, but it also tell you to Calibrate your monitor in the same lighting when you use your monitor. If it tell you to shield away all lighting or even turn off all the light, wouldn't this make any sense because it tell you to Calibrate your monitor under same lighting when using the monitor, which mean in my case I use the monitor with my ceiling light on.

Hope that clear it up, and I'm going to re-edit my post because I notice some error in it.

This is what I understand after reading the instructions
1. Minimum resolution is 1027x768. I use the monitors native resolution.
2. Minimum color depth is 24-bit/16 million colors. I use 32-bit
3. There should be no direct light on the screen of your monitor. But, you should use the same room lighting that you normally use to view your screen/monitor. You shield lighting on the monitor to prevent it from reflecting on the screen. Or you shield the lamp or light fixture that is casting light on the monitor itself, either use the formal or later method (IE: shield the monitor from light or shield that portion of light reflecting off the monitor screen).

I agree that there is little or no support. Colorvisions support page is useless.I bought this 3 days ago and it sits in its box doing nothing.I was under the impression that this would calibrate my lcd and load a profile.And yes the instructions are confusing and of very little help.After installing the drivers I rebooted and on reboot Spyder2 tells me no color profiles loaded .At this point I havent even plugged the usb sensor in.So I plug it in and xp recogonizes the usb sensor.I start the program and get a error....I click next after clicking ok and get a new page with a new error that the meter is not sensing.I click ok and get to where you put the meter on the screen and go through the color process.At the end it says color profile has been loaded .But there is no change.I reboot...Colorvision tells me color profile loaded but there is no change????? My desktop is still the same no changes in color or anything.I look in my color profiles and find a spyder2 profile ....so now what ???am I supposed to do something with it ???? I know what I would like to do with it and this piece of junk Spyder2....cant return it as from newegg and no return on this...Sure am not going to make a international call for tech support which looks to also be useless.I have also loaded the spyder2 profile in color management and made it defualt...no change.I did a complete reinstall of xp all latest greatest drivers for my Nvidia 9700 gt sli....no change...bios uptodate...all xp updates ...no change.
Anyone got any ideas ?????????

1. Make sure hardware acceleration is set to full

2. Make sure all firewall, ad-ware, anti-virus is disabled

3. Make sure you disable your color profile from your ATI or Nvidia programs. Also make sure you disable Adobe Gamma (if you so happen to have a profile loaded from them).

5. Make sure there is no damage to the wire or colorimeter device. Check the underside as well.

6. If none of this works, submit a ticket to them and see how they handle it.

7. Go here
Click on support then support center.
Register your product
Submit a ticket
Tell them your problem

I thought ColorVision Spyder 2 have a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee? After using ColorVision Spyder 2 I would not suggest anyone buying it. This product had so many limitations, and it cried out to buy a Pro version. After multiple attempt calibrating my monitor with the Spyder 2, my Luminance keep decreasing making the after Calibration very dark. I have try all kind of different brightness setting, but the result was the same, very dark. The before image actually look better because I can see the grape color in the jar. The after image the grape have become a black color.

PDITestImage.jpg

I have disabled Adobe Gamma, my ceiling light is shield, and I have cover my window to make sure there is no light. How do I disable ATI Color? Do I just hit the default button? I'm trying to return the Spyder 2 because it promise a 30 Days money back Guarantee. I bought it from a website call Calibration - Direct. Big mistake! Every time I try to call them I was told to leave a message. Try emailing them and no respond. I think I''m going to file a dispute with my Credit Card Company if I do not get a respond back soon. Get the Pro version if you want the overall best result. Do not make the same mistake as I did. Also, after hours of calibrating my monitor using the Spyder 2 Sensor it leave a white flare effect when I switch to a black background. It seamed to go away after a long period of times, but just a head up this thing may damage your LCD.

I thought ColorVision Spyder 2 have a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee? After using ColorVision Spyder 2 I would not suggest anyone buying it. This product had so many limitations, and it cried out to buy a Pro version. After multiple attempt calibrating my monitor with the Spyder 2, my Luminance keep decreasing making the after Calibration very dark. I have try all kind of different brightness setting, but the result was the same, very dark. The before image actually look better because I can see the grape color in the jar. The after image the grape have become a black color.

I have disabled Adobe Gamma, my ceiling light is shield, and I have cover my window to make sure there is no light. How do I disable ATI Color? Do I just hit the default button? I'm trying to return the Spyder 2 because it promise a 30 Days money back Guarantee. I bought it from a website call Calibration - Direct. Big mistake! Every time I try to call them I was told to leave a message. Try emailing them and no respond. I think I''m going to file a dispute with my Credit Card Company if I do not get a respond back soon. Get the Pro version if you want the overall best result. Do not make the same mistake as I did. Also, after hours of calibrating my monitor using the Spyder 2 Sensor it leave a white flare effect when I switch to a black background. It seamed to go away after a long period of times, but just a head up this thing may damage your LCD.

Yes, you do hit the default button however, the program disabled it for me once I calibrated the monitor. There is now an option to "Reactivate ATI color control". I can only assume that you can deactive it but I am not sure because this is the first time I saw it. I am not sure what it will do on your system. Did you set the OSD to default? Did you get to the part of the calibration program that allows you to make OSD adjustments to your Red, Blue, Green (trying to level them off and keep it at a certain kelvin)? Did you adjust the back light and contrast as the program asked? What was your color kelvin after you adjusted the 3 colors? These adjustments are something you have to make on the OSD according to software instructions. Therefore, if it didn't turn out right you didn't adjust the 3 colors, the backligh and contrast correctly. You will need to calibrate again!! This time wait until it's dark outside and simply turn off the light. Saying it's a bad product is false on your part as you didn't do it correctly. I as well as others, have tried it and have had no problems using it and, have gain better picture quality because of it. However, in your case it's best that you contact your e-tailer and ask for a refund. As much as you complain you provide no real details regarding this product. You do not provide any specific calibrating steps nor do you provide any calibrating program sequences that explain your position. You do not reference which Spyder2 program you have. There is no such thing as a Spyder2 it's either a Spyder2express, Spyder2 Suite or Spyder2Pro. However, if for some reason you actually have a Spyder2 you need to return it as that is not the most current version of this product that I know of (after doing some research).

I have done my best to try to consolidate all the posts in this thread into the original post for easy reading.
I've also updated the OP to include other information.

Anyone know if the ColorVision colorimeter (that comes with the Spyder2 packages) is available to purchase separately?

How much is the Spyder2 Express in the US? Where I am it costs the equivalent of $138 or so, isn't that a bit steep?

Anyone know if the ColorVision colorimeter (that comes with the Spyder2 packages) is available to purchase separately?
I have not seen one yet. However, if you visit the homepage and email them I'm sure you will get a clear answer about it.

The express version should be good enough for most people. Where are you finding it for $55 zigaroo?

Back