Monitor cable hack job to RCA. Possible?

Nuzzles

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've got an idea where I'll put my VCR, PS2, Xbox, Stereo next to me at my computer. Now, my LCD would be perfect to sit on top of it all. So I was wondering, since I've got a couple of cables that don't matter if it doesn't go right first, if I could chop the cable, and connect an RCA connector to it, then plug it into the video out on my VCR. Of course I could then watch TV as well on it. ^.^

So yah, thanks in advance.

Edit: This is a VGA cable, by the way, if that makes any difference. ^_^

Do it right and get a transcoder.

What you ask is possible, but you may end up damaging your hardware; not all hardware will support the adaptor.

Also, trial and error while creating adaptors like this may very well end in broken hardware.

You may buy adaptors like the one you are searching for on the cheap.

Google turned up the following e-tail site on a quick search of mine:
http://www.pccables.com/70717.htm

If you still would like to go through with creating your own cable (certainly not recommended by me) then you would need to look up the pin-outs for VGA.

This site, http://pinouts.ru/, should help you.

For component video it would be rather simple, but would be complex if you were to use a composite connection.

I am not entirely sure about how you would perform the later.

I understand it'd be quite risky....
And that connector, says "Laptop must have NTSC output capability" I'm guessing the something of the same would be for input? Since I live in New Zealand, the video system here is PAL, so yes... ;x

Anyways, thanks for that site. I'll have a little look. ^.^

It really should not matter whether or not it is NTSC or PAL; you just need to make sure that your monitor can accept "incomplete" signals.

VGA sends considerably more information than composite RCA.

The screen most likely will not understand the correct aspect ratio, resolution, or synch. of the input stream, and that could very well damage hardware at one, if not both, ends of the cable.

What about doing the reverse?

I've got a gentoo/myth pvr, and I could tune the junk out of the screen settings.

Well, I chopped the cables, just wondering which pins go to what cables. XD

Got a thin:
Yellow
Orange
White
Black
Purple

Thicker:
White
Blue
Greyish
Red

Mhmm. xD

I went from VGA to RGBHV for my HDTV. Made my own cable with some splicing equipment I borrowed from a friend. Not sure if it would work well in reverse (IE, non-computer sources to a VGA device. I think you'd need the H and V signals for it to work right). The transcoder would be the way to go in that instance.

nst6563 said:
I went from VGA to RGBHV for my HDTV. Made my own cable with some splicing equipment I borrowed from a friend. Not sure if it would work well in reverse (IE, non-computer sources to a VGA device. I think you'd need the H and V signals for it to work right). The transcoder would be the way to go in that instance.

TVs/HDTVs do not need to be told when to synch. as they have that functionality standardized.

If you are willing to take the chance of breaking hardware; my vote would go for the input looking stretched to the wrong aspect ration, and very pixilated.

MrkXCeL said:
HA HA HA HA !!!

xD Well after several very painful minutes with very blunt scissors, I got that stupid casing off at the end. ^.^ Can make out which pins to what wires.

Tesla. THanks for the link. :p

It's not taking a chance if your TV directly supports that type of input. The picture quality is superb, crystal clear, and in the correct aspect ratio. All you have to do is set the resolution to one that the TV supports (which I currently have at 1920x1080i since it's the TV's native res.)

If you look at the VGA pinouts, you'll see R, G, B, H, and V. If your TV supports those inputs, then you can simply "splice" a cable to work with it, OR you can buy one pre-made. There is no danger in it at all.

All that info can be gotten from the AVS forums.

Here's some links. The first couple however I didn't do, but from reports is quite possible and has good results. My TV has the standard 3 HD inputs, but why bother when I could get more resolutions with the RGBHV set.
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23850&highlight=cat5

Some pre-made cables from a good company.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cables.html
Notice under the "VGA to component cables" section, they do have a disclaimer that for the VGA>YPbPr cable to work, your VGA device must support outputting in YPbPr.

sorry to hear that ... now ... let me get this straight ... you're trying to feed VGA to COMPONENT RCA jacks on your LCD? If you're trying composite or SVIDEO you must be on crack

MrkXCeL said:
sorry to hear that ... now ... let me get this straight ... you're trying to feed VGA to COMPONENT RCA jacks on your LCD? If you're trying composite or SVIDEO you must be on crack

Well, no, not component. I haven't got into the ages of HDTV's. So, it'll basically be the normal one video jack on the VCR? :wacko:

I don't even know if I'll even hook the cable up. xD It'll be a fun venture, nonethe less, now, time to go get that soldering iron...The bit at the end of the plug is a big block of hot glue. xD

>.>

nst6563 said:

He is talking about the reverse: RCA to VGA.

They are very, very different things.

(I'm sure you thought he was just using a LCD TV, but I do not want other people to think that this is a simple thing to do in most circumstances.)

MrkXCeL said:

It can be done, but to be done properly requires a circuit complete with various transistors, etc.

See my link above.

EDIT:

This part of the site is closer to what you want, but will still need to be adapted slightly to go in reverse without signal loss. I am not certain of this as I have not traced the circuit myself, though,

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/vga2tv/vga2palntsc.html

Honestly, if you really want to do this, it is going to take a good amount of time and learning.

You may also want to review the following page as it would be a LOT simpler to make your own PCB and insert the components into that.

http://www.solarbotics.net/library/techniques/buildpcb.html

(It is not as hard as you may think.)

transcoder is definetly nessecary. probably easier to just buy one. Analog signals can be tough, there is alot more going on than just a digital signal. learning project could be interesting but just might not be worth the time.

Eh, to me it'll be worth it. Cause it'll be a great little set up if it works.

Tesla, I'll ask you about everything when I get to that stage. ^.^ Right now, well, I'm not all that far into it.

And just to make everything clear, as of right now, I have not ruined the LCD at all. Hell, it's on at the moment right next to me.

The cables I'll most likely be using. ;x

You will need to buy a PCB to etch, a long list of small electrical engineering items, and would most likely want to re-make the cables from scratch, to be honest.

It would be a good learning project if you were to place the circuit in its own enclosure with batteries supplying the required voltages.

This project would be on quite a steep learning curve if you wish to understand it.

If you want to reuse the cables you have now, I would clean them up so that you have clean shielded ends that you can plug into your hardware and cleanly stripped bare wires on the other end that you can solder directly to a PCB.

From the looks of it, you will need to cut and re-shield the male end of that VGA cable.

Your ground wires are all out in the open air.

TESLA said:
(I'm sure you thought he was just using a LCD TV, but I do not want other people to think that this is a simple thing to do in most circumstances.)

actually, no I knew what he was talking about, hence the reason I stated above that I didn't know if that would work in reverse.

The reason for my other post was in response to yours
TVs/HDTVs do not need to be told when to synch. as they have that functionality standardized.
If you are willing to take the chance of breaking hardware; my vote would go for the input looking stretched to the wrong aspect ration, and very pixilated.

I was responding with the fact that I'm not taking a chance of breaking hardware since the hardware fully supports what I was doing.

As far as his problem is concerned, yes...the best way to go for him would be a transcoder. It's hard to screw that up, although I'm sure it's possible....but much safer than cutting the vga cable and splicing wires together or making a circuit (assuming he has no experience in making circuits that is).

Hmm, I like the PCB idea...Definately consider it.

I think I'll do that. how would I go about the VGA connection though? This could be a good place to spend my money on. xD

Thanks for all the help, it's really appreciated.

nst6563 said:
I was responding with the fact that I'm not taking a chance of breaking hardware since the hardware fully supports what I was doing.

Yeah, but there is always that chance, and when it shows its ugly head, the results are not good.

He has not told us enough about what he is using to know if it is safe.

You should never assume a computer monitor will take a non-VGA/Digital signal.

EDIT: Plus, it is extremely unlikely that his LCD, if meant for a computer, has PAL/NTSC support built in, in which case a transcoder circuit is needed for proper display.

Nuzzles said:
Hmm, I like the PCB idea...Definately consider it.

I think I'll do that. how would I go about the VGA connection though? This could be a good place to spend my money on. xD

Thanks for all the help, it's really appreciated.

Do you have any spare intact VGA cables?

If you do, simply cleanly cut one of the ends and strip the individual wires so that you have about 1cm of exposed metal on each. The ground wires may be wrapped around the individually shielded wires as insulation; for those, I would simply twist them together and perhaps lightly solder the end so that it stays together.

Then I would dissect the end that you cut off (carefully) and take note of the color to pin combinations.

Do not use blunt cutting utensils as it will negatively affect the image quality of the finished product.

Mhmm, that totally slipped past my mind. :rollseyes:

It's a Philips 150S4 LCD monitor, Old Mitsubishi(sp?xD) HS-MX5 VCR.

TESLA said:
You should never assume a computer monitor will take a non-VGA/Digital signal.

true...good point. I've never done things that way...I've always used the computer as the output device and never tried to input something other than the computer to the monitor.

Nuzzles said:
Mhmm, that totally slipped past my mind. :rollseyes:

It's a Philips 150S4 LCD monitor, Old Mitsubishi(sp?xD) HS-MX5 VCR.

Yep, you will need to build a circuit for proper display.

Back