• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monitor buying advice (24" vs 27")

Atragon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
338
I realize that this question has been asked before, but with the wealth of information out there, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

My existing LG 246WP-BN is nearing death, and I'm shopping around for a replacement with the following characteristics:

1920x1200 or higher resolution
24" or 27" (30" would be too big for my space even if I could afford it)
Colour reproduction at least as good as my current monitors. (I've also got a NEC 20WMGX2 as a second monitor)

I'd like to keep price as close to $300+tax as possible as I don't have a large budget at the moment. I'm using a GTX 580, so DL-DVI is fine with me, though the ability to send a 720p signal to it would be nice if I can't drive a game in 1440p at decent settings.

This seems to drive me towards either an Asus PA248Q (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_1195_700_1103&item_id=050876) or Dell U2412M (http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...l.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-2676) if I want to have a nice warranty, or towards a Korean 27" with a much weaker warranty, but offering a higher resolution at a similar price. I've been burned before with an online monitor purchase via ebay (a DOA FW900) so I'm a bit nervous

I would prefer a non-glossy screen, as the lighting setup is such that reflections from a glossy screen would be annoying. I also do not want to be stuck with a display that adjusts the white level instead of the backlight for brightness like this one: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/achieva_27_ips-zero-g.htm

Can anyone shed some additional light on which of the Korean monitors might fit my needs, or if I should just go with the Asus or Dell?
 
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the QNIX QX2710 matte version, just waiting on a response from green-sum about his perfect pixel policy.

NCX's review makes it sound like a good budget alternative to the much more expensive Samsung, Viewsonic, BenQ, etc 27" monitors, though I'm more curious how well it compares against the PA248Q and U2412M as those are my other main options.
 
I'm also going to bite on the QNIX Qx2710 Matte. It is just really hard to argue with what you get for the price, and fortunately there is almost nothing but positive feedback from other purchasers. I had a Viewsonic VP2770 a couple months ago and it was utterly fantastic, but cost literally twice as much.

The monitor I currently have, just got yesterday, is an EIZO Foris FS2333. I'm super picky, and I've ordered and returned probably 6 monitors this year and I can say that this thing is freakin' awesome. The price is high for sure but worth every penny. Very fast panel, especially for IPS. Speakers are mediocre so I wish they would either pull them or put something serious in for the price I paid. Other wise it is awesome.
 
Canada Computers=5% Minimum Restocking fee for non-defective returns. Both the U2412 & PA248Q use grainy matte coatings and have low LED PWM Dimming frequencies. Newer AH-IPS panels have lighter coatings and higher PWM Frequencies.

BenQ BL2411PT Available fromAmazon sellers
HP Z24i HP Canada should sell these soon.

These are the only reviewed 1200p models which can rival the Qnix.

Memory Express (7 Day No Hassle Return) & Amazon (30 Day Day No Hassle Return) are the only 2 online Canadian retailers worth buying monitors from since most charge re-stocking fees.

IPS LED Monitors offers a 14 day return policy to North Americans, they sell the Qnix. Anything but 1440p looks mediocre on the Qnix, a 1200p monitor is a better choice for slow cards (GTX 580).
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately, both the BenQ and the HP are a bit above my price range.

I'm mostly playing older games these days, so my GTX 580 should be OK to drive 1440p for stuff like Metro 2033 and Civ V based on the reviews on [H]

If I feel the need for more horsepower, I could always add a second GTX 580 some time down the road, or buy a single GTX 760 / 770, or successor.
 
+2 for the QX2710. I bought one for home and one for work.

They both have a stuck pixel, and one had bad BLB, but I did the tape mod in an hour and it's much better now.
110hz is great.
 
Back
Top