Monitor arm quesiton

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 17, 2005
Messages
1,497
How well do monitor arms work with glass computer desks? I want to get an adjustable arm to bring the monitor closer when gaming or other scenarios. If I just get some rubber to make sure any metal parts touch will this work?
 
Depends on the weight of the screen. The problem is not cushioning - the issue is torque between the mount and the mount where the arm attaches.
 
Ok, well I currently have a Viewsonic 20.1" that weights in at 12.8 lb. without the stand.
I am curious at what weight it starts to become dangerous.
 
Way too many factors to say when it becomes dangerous. For example, the distance is the monitor away from the mount - the longer the distance from its center point, the greater the torque applied to the desk from the mount. What you could do I think is to get some plywood and put above and below where you mount the arm - such that the force applied by the mount on the tabletop is disturbed and not focused onto one area.
 
I think Vega used a monitor arm with a glass desk for awhile. There might be some pics in his latest build thread, actually.

As long as you aren't clamping down on the glass with needle-sized points, I don't think you'll have any issues. Glass desks are a lot stronger than most people think.
 
I'd be very careful with it, those 13lbs + arm weight get significantly more in terms of forces when the arm is moved forward much like the lever-effect.
Also, why would you need an arm to move the screen closer towards you?
 
Been contemplating on getting a larger monitor to play a couple games with. Being able to get the monitor closer to me, I will not have too. These particular games use my pc 360 controller and I feel better about sitting back in my chair and when using a monitor arm at work I find that moving the screen closer and higher so I am almost glancing upwards is helping. Because I can rest my head on the back of my chair by doing this.
It mostly boils down to being able to tilt/pull the monitor forward. Since the keyboard is in the way at the moment, I presently can not do this.
 
I would be afraid of the arm slipping and crashing the monitor into the glass. Plus if it slides at all your going to have a huge gash in your glass or worse... shattering. If you can, I'd recommend wall mounting. I just did it with 3 23" in eyefinity and it turned out perfect, just make sure to hit the studs.
 
Back
Top