monitor advice...?

Loud_TIGER

2[H]4U
just got in on the dell 1907fp deal, and actually got a pretty nice monitor: samsung panel, no dead pixels, great colors. i was worried i'd get the AU Optronics panel. anyway, here's the problem. 1280x1024 is not enough! i don't understand why all 19" non-ws panels are limited to 1280x1024. coming from a 1600x1200 desktop, i can't make the 1280x1024 resolution work. i bought it thinking i could adjust, but it's amazing how much space is lost.

should i:

1) sell the 19" display, and go back to my CRT

or

2) keep the 19" display, and buy another while the price is still good?

or

3) sell the 19" display, and try a 20" LCD in the $400-500 range (if you could recommend one that'd be great)

the thing with 2) is that i'd still be losing out on vertical resolution. 1) is the best, budget wise, since i figure i can stick w/ my CRT some more. 3) is obviously the most expensive endeavor.

thanks!

Yes, 3. Just to let you know, though, 20 and 20.1 inch WS monitors have a native rez of 1680x1050. They don't have the height you are used to. The difference is less than 200 pixels, but you may notice. If that bothers you, you can get the 24 inch dell. The older version will go on sale soon because the 2407FPW is due out soon.

are there any nice 20" non widescreen displays? it seems like everybody is going ws...

samsung 204b is nice, there's a review floating around that someone did recently.

now i'm thinking of just getting another 19". this way, two 19s = more pixels than one 20", and it'll be about the same price.

I use my second screen as a temp monitor to hold stuff I need to look at so I don't have to flip back and forth.
I could live with 1280 on the second screen if I had to, but I need my 1600 on my primary one.
i've got 2 19's at 1600 each so I have plenty of space to play with.

so how did you get the Samsung panel? I was under the impression that they had totally switched over to the AU panel.... is it luck?

wahoogeek said:
so how did you get the Samsung panel? I was under the impression that they had totally switched over to the AU panel.... is it luck?
yup, pretty much

Back