monitor advice - 24/26" for tv/movies/office

ki_cz

n00b
I've spent about 2 days looking at stupid monitors online trying to find something that meets my needs, unfortunately, I'm still stuck.

I'm currently using a FW900, and if I could simply buy another one, I probably would. Unfortunately, even getting this one was a chore, and I haven't seen one since.

Problem is, that I'm on a fairly strict budget, which seems to limit me to TN panels, especially in the Czech Republic, where everything is pretty much overpriced.

This will primarily be an office/CAD station, while I'd like to watch some TV/movies on it from the couch, which is essentially directly in front of the monitor, if not a bit below. I don't mind some viewing angle color distortion, but don't want it to be ridiculous.

Here's what I've kinda narrowed it down to, but would like some more suggestions or recommendations. Should also give you a bit of the idea of the budget that I'm looking at. If anybody has any really amazing 22" recommendations, I'd be willing to look at that size as well. I'll still be using the FW900 for all color correction/photoshop/printing needs. Would also prefer matte over glossy, but could live with anything.

Monitor will be used with HD4670 card.

ASUS VW266H - 9 435,51 Kč
Samsung T240HD - 8 685,81 Kč
BenQ V2400W - 7 852,81 Kč

Divide prices by ~20 to get USD.

Thanks for the help!

I have the V2400W and its a really great monitor as far as the panel. Picture is excellent and no problems whatsoever. I was never crazy about the design, and I'm starting to notice that its leaning due to the off-centered stand placement (had it for about a year). If you can get the G2400WD (same panel) for cheaper, I would do that.

I can't speak for the other monitors because I haven't used either. But my brother owns a Samsung and it seems like they need to be calibrated a bit to get the color right. Mine was perfect right out of the box. Personally, I think they're a bit overrated. The Asus seems like the most viable if you're going to use it as a TV because of its larger size.

What kind of inputs do you need? And how far away from the monitor will you be while watching it on the couch?

Ha, ha, někdo z domoviny :) No ale pokračujme anglicky, ať nedeláme potíže :)

BenQ G2400WD is quite a good monitor. Right now Dell 2209WA is a very interesting one. It has eIPS panel and furthermore Dell offers zero dead pixels (even sub-pixels) guarantee and door-to-door service or whatever it is called :)

The couch is only about 2-3 meters away from where the screen would be. Viewing angles shouldn't matter to much with CAD/design/office use, I'd just like it to not be too horrible when viewing from the couch.

Also wondering if there are any viable TV options, but I'm thinking there isn't for long term work in front of a screen?

Last edited:
Assuming you have the screen pointed at you, viewing angle is LESS of an issue if you sit far away, because you can move further before your actual angle changes significantly (basic trignometry :p).

The problem I find (using my TN monitor as a TV) is when I sit at my desk doing computer stuff, I'm higher than when sitting on my bed watching TV. So I have to adjust the angle downwards when I watch TV on the bed. But once I've got it pointing in the right spot, I dont have any issues with viewing angle while watching from 2+ metres away.

Its when I get really close, playing racing games from an interior view with the screen around half a metre to a metre away that viewing angles get a bit dodgy.

Think I'm going to remove anything in the 26" range from my choice. I'll stick to 24", which is already bigger than the viewable area on my FW900. Are there any other recommendations? Would the LG L246WHX-BN be a better choice for my use than the G2400WD?

LG monitors are quite good, tbh not sure about which one is better comparing that
two models.

I'd like to throw another one into the mix that I've found for an ice price:

HP LCD LP2465 24" / 6ms / 1000:1 / wide / DVI

this seems almost too good to be true? PVA panel, solid reviews online, and not a huge price increase over what I was looking at. Anybody have any opinions on this one?

How much does it cost ? you may try HP-LP 2475W as well.

Last edited:
Back