Monarch OEM - anyone have experience?

grizzed

Limp Gawd
I need a new system but I was dreading putting together my own. Some builds can be quick and painless, but a bad component can quickly turn it into a nightmare. I checked out a number of OEMs and it looks like Monarch can give me exactly what I want. A preassembled machine that had undergone some basic testing to confirm the components are in working order with a loaded and updated OS (to include driver updates). From that point I can do all the tweaking I want toso I can get the machine to perform like I want it to.

The cost difference between monarch and newegg was about $170. That is worth it if they provide me with the following:
  • Install the exact components I specify
  • Install OS and update drivers (a driver 6 months out of date is not reasonable)
  • Conduct basic burn in to confirm the components are working (no RMA)
  • Show up at my door in good shape
(I’m also going to ask if they can customize the partitions a little bit so I don’t have to do it later. I don’t have much hope for this one, but we’ll see)

I’ve spoken with some pre sales reps and they’ve told me that I can upgrade with components that don’t appear on their configurator-thing-a-ma-bob-dealy. (I asked about RAM and a video card that didn’t appear on the list)

They have a quote that states "We adhere to ISO 9002 quality control standards and each computer is run through a rigorous battery of tests, including a 48-72 hour burn-in diagnostic period for full compatibility as well as a full 62-point inspection. After completing the testing procedures, our quality control manager …. conducts a hands-on final check of your computer. …… Also, all of our technicians are A+ Certified. We also offer onsite 24/7 warranty on all Monarch computer systems."

ISO is useless IMO, but their 62 point inspection is better than my 1 point inspection. “Press power button and check for smoke”

Has anyone had any negative experience with monarch that would suggest my thinking is way out of line?

Ps I am disappointed I won’t be able to include the thermaltake Armor case I want, but they claim there is a problem with shipping those cases with components

better to have them tell you about the case then to find out when you get it at home.

i bought a bare bones from them once, was pretty poorly packaged, but it work. When i think of monarch i think of cheap parts / build. They not insanly high end, but they get the job done. Overall pretty good company from my experiance, but i'd look else where for the insane high end systems.

Newegg is the parts end of ABS Computers, I think ABS is more highend than Monarch.

they have some comarisons in computer power user magazine between systems and the last one I saw... Monarch beat dell and other companies.

Monarch rules!

I recently bought a full system from Monarch.

When I received it the first time, it was DOA. I had to send it back to them, and they told me the PSU was bad. Something about voltage.

I don't remember what the problem was, but it wasn't something caused just by being banged around in shipping! Given that, I don't place much trust in their "62-point inspection".

I experienced excellent customer support. There was a longass turn-around time, but I was told that it was because they were backlogged because of the holidays (this all took place from the beginning of December (order placed then) to the first week or so of January) (I was also told that they don't have enough employees for the amount of business they're getting. I wasn't told this by a MCS employee, but someone close to them).

When I got it back the second time, it worked flawlessly and it's worked beautifully since.

However, if you visit their forums, you'll see many people complaining of no service. I think that their complaints are eventually resolved, but you should be mindful.

thanks for the input -
better to have them tell you about the case then to find out when you get it at home.
agreed

I'll post how it goes. I'm going to pull the trigger on this soon, I don't think I'll be able to hold out until the AM2's are released.

Back