• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Molex VS Sata Power?

Jaxel

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 8, 2007
Messages
119
Okay, I have a modular power supply. If I want to power another hard drive (which will be my main system drive, and an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD), I will need to plug in another Sata Power cable, which adds a ton of cable, as there are 4 plugs on it. However, I do have an open Molex power plug on an existing cable. As well, I also have a Molex to Sata Power converter... Would there be any harm in simply using the converter? Or is there something I would lose by not using true Sata Power?
 
I used to use these adapters all the time without an issue. Some of my systems still have them. You will be fine.
 
What I don't get is why sata connecters have 3.3v if you can run the drive with out it?
 
i use adapter for mine. didnt want to add another sata power cable so i just used the dual sata to molex adapter. that is currently running my raid 0 drives
 
Most drives do not actually use the 3.3v line, but some do. Depends on the manufacturer/model.
 
They put 3.3v on the connector, even though drives didn't need it, with the intentions that in a couple years once everyone had the SATA power connectors, they could start designing drives to use it. We're at what, 7 years since the connector came out, and still most drives don't use it. I guess there are enough people using molex to sata adapters (or using a backplane or hotswap bay with molex connectors) that they haven't implemented widespread use of the 3.3v line for drives. It's kinda annoying, because the molex was supposed to die off, but it is still widely used in fan controllers and other peripherals.

FWIW, my 3.5" mechanical drives use 12v and 5v, and my 2.5" mechanical drive and SSDs use 5v only.
 
They put 3.3v on the connector, even though drives didn't need it, with the intentions that in a couple years once everyone had the SATA power connectors, they could start designing drives to use it. We're at what, 7 years since the connector came out, and still most drives don't use it. I guess there are enough people using molex to sata adapters (or using a backplane or hotswap bay with molex connectors) that they haven't implemented widespread use of the 3.3v line for drives. It's kinda annoying, because the molex was supposed to die off, but it is still widely used in fan controllers and other peripherals.

FWIW, my 3.5" mechanical drives use 12v and 5v, and my 2.5" mechanical drive and SSDs use 5v only.

That would suck if everything went to sata connectors, they break to easy.
 
That would suck if everything went to sata connectors, they break to easy.

In the 200+ SATA drive installs that I have done, I have never had a single SATA cable break. I have also never had a single bad SATA cable. This is with mainly the cables that come with motheboards since every new motherboard usually includes 4 to 6 SATA cables and 1 or 2 power adapters.
 
In the 200+ SATA drive installs that I have done, I have never had a single SATA cable break. I have also never had a single bad SATA cable. This is with mainly the cables that come with motheboards since every new motherboard usually includes 4 to 6 SATA cables and 1 or 2 power adapters.

I broke one once. Kind of surprised me me how delicate it was. Definitely the exception to my normal experience.
 
In the 200+ SATA drive installs that I have done, I have never had a single SATA cable break. I have also never had a single bad SATA cable. This is with mainly the cables that come with motheboards since every new motherboard usually includes 4 to 6 SATA cables and 1 or 2 power adapters.

I've never broken one either but it's easy to tell that they aren't as strong as a molex connecter.
 
I've never broken one either but it's easy to tell that they aren't as strong as a molex connecter.
I will gladly give up a little build quality by using SATA power connectors to avoid ruining my fingers when removing Molex ones.
 
For you I guess they are strong enough.
They're evidently strong enough for large OEMs like Dell and HP as well, since they use those connectors in all of their computers. I dare say that they probably have higher robustness requirements than most people.
 
They're evidently strong enough for large OEMs like Dell and HP as well, since they use those connectors in all of their computers. I dare say that they probably have higher robustness requirements than most people.

Cause dell/hp is going to have people removing the connectors all the time. :rolleyes:
 
Cause dell/hp is going to have people removing the connectors all the time. :rolleyes:
I'm not going to argue with you about this. However, since you yourself have said that you've never broken one of these connectors, you have nothing with which to support your argument other than an ill-formed opinion.
 
I'm not going to argue with you about this. However, since you yourself have said that you've never broken one of these connectors, you have nothing with which to support your argument other than an ill-formed opinion.

LOL are you seriously going to tell me a sata connector is as strong as a molex connector? Serious? WOW. I'm not even going to try to go over it with you.
 
LOL are you seriously going to tell me a sata connector is as strong as a molex connector? Serious? WOW. I'm not even going to try to go over it with you.
Nope, I'm not going to tell you that, nor did I ever say or imply it.
 
you have nothing with which to support your argument other than an ill-formed opinion.

Hmm... What does that imply? That my "ill-formed" opinion of sata connectors is wrong that they must be as strong as molex. Implies that to me.
 
The opinion I was referring to is your opinion that SATA power connectors are not strong enough for their intended purpose.
 
The opinion I was referring to is your opinion that SATA power connectors are not strong enough for their intended purpose.

Did I ever say they weren't strong enough for their intended purpose? NO! I said they aren't strong enough, removing them isn't their intended purpose, to stay on and give power is their intended purpose. You could make them weaker and they would still be strong enough for their intended purpose. But they are still flimsy compared to a molex connector when being taken off/put on.
 
But without having seen one break, you have no evidence to suggest that they would in fact break while being connected or disconnected. On the other hand, I'm quite certain that the connectors went through rigourous testing by the company that designed them before they were put into production.
 
But without having seen one break, you have no evidence to suggest that they would in fact break while being connected or disconnected. On the other hand, I'm quite certain that the connectors went through rigourous testing by the company that designed them before they were put into production.

Where are you getting that I have never seen one break? I said I have never broken one. You are so full of assumptions. Where is your proof of this rigorous testing if you are so into proof? Have you ever heard of anyone breaking the molex connector on a drive? I personally haven't. I have seen broken sata connectors, one person in this thread has even said they broke one. You're just being argumentative, pointing out stuff that I never said, and want me to provide proof yet you give none. You want some proof, just look at the connectors molex is fully enclosed by plastic all around both connections. Sata is not, it would be fairly easy to slip and snap the connector since there isn't anything preventing you from pulling it off or pushing it on at an angle. It's fairly easy to see.
 
Oh no they aren't as strong as Molex, I guarantee that. I broke one of the power connectors slap the hell off the back of a hard drive trying to install a 4870X2 a couple of years ago in an Antec 900. The clearances are tight as it is and I got a case of dumb-ass (on top of a 12 pack) and jammed it down in there anyways without disconnecting the sata cables. I never did that to a molex plug though. I got it back together with super glue cloned the drive and now the broke drive is in an external enclosure. Back then that was an expensive lesson learned.
 
They might break easier, but they are far less of a pain in the ass.

Molex likes to not have the pins line up (especially if you're using like molex to SATA adapters or something like that), so that it either doesn't fit in properly, or it fits in but one of the pins gets pushed out of the connector.
 
They might break easier, but they are far less of a pain in the ass.

Molex likes to not have the pins line up

I agree. And they are far easier to hot swap because of this.
 
Never broke a SATA connector, however it'd be nice to have a wire gauge change for anything SATA - the bulk of the stiff wires don't help the flimsy SATA connectors.
 
@Op: You will be fine, although most ssds can use the 3.3v line, they do not require it.
The only drives that require the 3.3v are drives on minisata, and those use 3.3v exclusively.
I have never seen a mechanical 3.5" drive that requires the 3.3V line, infact they always say +5v and +12v on the drive.
SSDS require either the 3.3v line or the 5v line, not both. And on all drives that are not mini-sata it will use either of those lines.
 
Back
Top