• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Molex to sata for ssd?

kdott

n00b
Joined
Feb 28, 2014
Messages
11
Is it possible to use my molex cable in the PSU and get a molex adapater to sata to power my ssd? Thanks!
 
Yep I've done it many times.

The SATA power connector standard does include a 3.3v which molex does not, but I don't think any drives actually use the 3.3v. My guess is that was just added for future compatibility in case 3.3v drives are ever introduced. (I could see SSDs maybe at some point)
 
Some SSDs are 3.3v only. I have one (6 years old at this point). You'll probably never run into one though.
 
The 1.8" SSDs use 3.3v, it's hard to find those though. I wonder if mSATA SSDs use 3.3v.
 
msata is 3.3 only.

Most all msata adapters though, convert 5v or 12v down to 3.3 though.
 
Back
Top