Mojave and Vista's image problem

Silus

Supreme [H]ardness
I found this very interesting :)

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15181

To sum up, Vista has a bad rep and Microsoft did an interesting experiment. They basically took a few XP users, that were skeptical of Vista's merits and showed a "new" OS code named Mojave. 90% of the users were pleased with what they saw. The twist is, Mojave IS Vista!

It absolutely blows me away when I hear where some Vista-bashers get their information. I had a relative come over to print some pictures and saw that I was using Vista at home. They actually told me that Vista was crap because Jay Leno made fun of it one night. Jay Freakin' Leno. These people are die-hard Bush fans, so I asked if that meant Bush was a bad president because Leno makes fun of him too. Silence. Morons are fun.

Comedy gold right there, but it figures. Thats the mass market for you.

I wonder if this means we will be seeing "Windows 7" sooner rather than later. LOL! :D

And yet they still keep focusing on Microsoft vs Apple, two companies that realistically are not in competition with each other, yet nobody except a few of us (myself included) seem to realize that.

Strange...

While the internet is an absolutely amazing source for information, it is also an absolutely amazing source for mis-information. I'd be willing to bet most of the Vista bashers have never used it, or are trying to run it on 10 year old hardware. It's pretty funny how quickly one person's opinion quickly becomes fact...

Well to be honest, Microsoft didn't handle the Vista launch very well.. There were a lot of issues, lack of drivers etc. This is why Vista has this "image problem" I think. It's a completely different OS now - the sad thing is that by the time Vista gains acceptance with the general public, it will be time for Windows 7 and the cycle starts over again.

It's always the same - when XP launched, everyone kept saying they would stick with Win2000 or even 98SE because XP was "bloated", "slow", "dumbed down", it was "just Win2000 with some extra eye candy", had poor driver support and so on (sounds familiar?). Now those same people are saying they are going to keep using XP instead of switching to Vista for exactly the same reasons again.

Then there's Apple with their intensive anti-Vista campaign..claiming that it's glitchy, constantly freezes, "doesn't work right" etc and Microsoft hasn't done anything in response to those ads. I'm sure with some clever marketing, they would have no problem poking fun at apple.

Lack of drivers at Vista's launch = not the fault of Microsoft or Vista, period

So there goes that concept. Manufacturers had been working with Microsoft's Vista development team for 3-4 years on drivers, if they didn't exist at launch the fault lies with the manufacturers, not the OS nor the maker of the OS.

You're right about the Apple "Vista Bash Fest" but the only reason it's successful to any degree is people are fucking stupid, simple. Anyway, Apple never seemed to learn the lesson that you don't mention the competition in your own ads, ever - they haven't learned that one yet, and their ads are money down the drain effectively because people would still prefer to buy a new OS and some minor costs for upgrading an older PC to make it compatible than forking over $1000 or more for a new damned computer from Apple with an OS they probably have little to no experience using at all.

To be honest, I don't use Vista because of <tada!> driver issues and support for DirectSound with the work that I do and the specific applications I use. Microsoft pooched themselves by tossing out DirectSound, sorry, but it's true and because of it I simply won't use Vista. The driver issues are with audio hardware and again, the software that I use.

I'll be running XP Pro x64 for many years to come...

I've been running Vista on my work machine since the inital launch for corporate customers which was in november of 2006. I got a new C2D recently, but for most of that time I was running on an old Athlon 2800+! Only concession to Vista was a RAM upgrade to 2GB, and I found that in a pile in the PC area.

It's a great OS, people are just highly resistant to change.

So there goes that concept. Manufacturers had been working with Microsoft's Vista development team for 3-4 years on drivers, if they didn't exist at launch the fault lies with the manufacturers, not the OS nor the maker of the OS.
Heck, there's even a special time period designed for this, if they had been sleeping through all the betas... RTM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Microsoft could release Vista under another name (just like this... Mojave!) and it would go over perfectly fine.

I think the #1 issue here is XP.
Microsoft was on a 2-3 year release cycle.
XP broke that and went 6 YEARS?!?! More if you count all the testing done...
Folks got used to XP. Hardware manufacturers got lazy, just wrote for XP specifically (not following Microsoft's recommendations).

People just hate change.

Incompatibility with drivers hurt the device manufacturers more than it did Vista, I'd expect.
Dell, HP, etc... They all made sure their hardware worked... Didn't slow down Vista sales (which is why it sold double the rate of XP).

I think it was unrealistic for people to expect every old peripheral to work. That was the source of a lot of complaints.

HP is not going to write Vista drivers for 6 year old inkjets, for example. Instead the vendors wanted you to buy new versions if you wanted Vista compatibility. A lot of people just wanted to hang on to their functional older stuff.

Lack of drivers at Vista's launch = not the fault of Microsoft or Vista, period

True, and your telling that a hardware enthusiast audience. Average Joe doesn't know that and blames the OS and Microsoft. /Shrug.

I should try pulling something like this on my boss (who is, quite the Apple Fanatic). Be interesting to see what he suddenly thinks. /Slight Rant Only today he walked in my office and went on about how He hates Windows Search, and how Spotlight is so much better. I hit the start menu, and started typing. He walked out of the room a few seconds later. I was quite content.

Back