Modular PSU..

MitsuviKz

n00b
Case: Thermaltake Lanbox Lite
Proc: E2180
GFX Card: 7800GTX

Which modular PSU would be efficient enough?

My boyfriend said that Corsair is a good brand, but I would like some other suggestions. Reason being, Corsair doesn't exactly have a "large" selection. Price range is $100-$220. I don't care if it has LED's or not, it doesn't need to be flashy. I could always mod my case and shit later. Thanks in advance.

-Vikz

I have a Antec NeoHE. They can be had for less than $200 and are pretty decent. Never experienced a problem with mine. Some people though absolutely hate them but as for me, they have my support.

Case: Thermaltake Lanbox Lite
Proc: E2180
GFX Card: 7800GTX

Which modular PSU would be efficient enough?

My boyfriend said that Corsair is a good brand, but I would like some other suggestions. Reason being, Corsair doesn't exactly have a "large" selection. Price range is $100-$220. I don't care if it has LED's or not, it doesn't need to be flashy. I could always mod my case and shit later. Thanks in advance.

-Vikz

Corsair does not have a large selection because they do not flood the market with shit. Every PSU they sell is damn good with a competitive price, they are not using their name to pawn off low end crap like many other companies. You can get a Corsair 520 for ~$90, no complaints, no extra cables floating around inside the case. And that 520w is just plain overkill for your setup, regardless of what CPU and video card you manage to put in there. You are going to find that there is not a huge selection of good modular power supplies on the marker right now that would be good for a small case like that.

I'll back up your boyfriend on this one -- a Corsair 620HX will power just about anything you might manage to put in that box, but even the 520HX would be /more/ than enough. Way, way more. That system is pulling /maybe/ 300 watts at the wall at full load, if that. Assuming 80% efficiency AC to DC conversion, that's all of 240 watts internal draw. Call it 250 to be safe. You could run a Corsair 450VX without issue, though it's non-modular.

Silverstone makes some nice modular supplies, as does Thermaltake (though stay away from eveything but their Toughpower line). I'm not an Antec advocate, so I recommend you stay away from those.

You do not need some monster supply. Even if you got a 9800GX2 and a quad in that little box you'd only need a quality 500 watt. Get the 620HX if you're feeling worried about power, but trust me on that; you'll not run in to any power related issues with /anything/ in Corsair's current line-up.

I'm trying to convince her to get a nonmodular one haha.

Maybe Antec earthwatts 380 :D

Save money!!!!

Save money!!!!

Yep, i would get a cheap power supply and save money. Your setup doesn't need much power at all. I remember seeing your name on the cal forums, are you a cal im baddie?

Save money!!!!

Antec is .... ewww when it comes to PSUs. The Earthwatts line is OK -- at least it's Seasonic built -- but has been shown to use poorer quality capacitors than other Seasonic builds. I still distinctly remember the horrors that were the TruePower and TruePower II lines, so it's hard for me to trust Antec to do anything right when it comes to PSUs.

Also, modular makes a lot of sense in a mATX case like that. Airflow is a major problem; the last thing you need is extra stuff just sitting around in there doing nothing.

I have a Corsair 620W modular PSU, and I love it. I build all the systems at work and have used it in some of the higher end engineering machines. Each have performed great. Antec PSUs are dead to me. I have thrown out so many Antec PSUs that have stopped working, I've lost track. One even died at home and took my wife's mobo with it. Never again will I buy a PSU with their name on it. Don't cheap out on a PSU.

Back