Modular PSU under 400w...

dbx

n00b
Tried all the shops & manufacturers I could think of, but there seems to be nothing. Can anyone think of anything? This is for a NAS/server build in a Lian Li PC-Q08 (although now possibly a Q25) so I don't want to clutter up the case with useless cables when the only ones that will be used are MB + SATA cables.

There's a few decent modular PSUs at 500w, but that's quite far out of the power efficiency sweet spot on this build... Corsair discontinued the HX420 unfortunately, and the only option I can find now around 400 is the Seasonic fanless which is (1) seems overkill for a NAS/server build, and (2) possibly not ideal for a case like the Q25 with no side vent over the PSU. (The Q08 does have one, so maybe that's the better solution after all.)

Barring a cheaper solution, does anyone have any experience with the Seasonic fanless in this setup?

Just buy the cheapest reliable PSU you can find and cut off the wires you don't need, then solder the ends or seal with plastic caps or electrical tape.

Just buy the cheapest reliable PSU you can find and cut off the wires you don't need, then solder the ends or seal with plastic caps or electrical tape.

I agree. I cut off all unneeded wires when I built my Q07. Shortened a bunch as well.
BTW, most of the Lian Li ITX cases count on the PSU fan to help cool them (Despite the number of people who might tell me otherwise)

Just be sure to test your PSU before cutting, since the warranty ends at that point!

Back