Modular PSU Guide Updated 10-19-06

Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
3,094
Updated 10-22-06

Here are the modular PSU's from PC P&C Turbo Cool always 1st Class, on down to more affordable models.

The Antec SP-500 has been removed due to quality control problems.

PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 (Modded by Performance-PCS)
+12V@34A, +5VSB@3A
From $279: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=1735&osCsid=dba2442d0c5111f5ec79e557c87df484

Corsair HX 620W (My #1 Choice for Uber/Quad SLI/CF!)
Specs: http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/HX_power_supply.html
Up to +12V@50A, +5VSB@3A
From $151: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?s...C:en&q=Corsair+HX+620W&lmode=online&scoring=p

Corsair HX 520W (My #1 Choice for everything else!)
Specs: http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/HX_power_supply.html
Up to +12V@40A, +5VSB@3A
From $105: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Corsair+HX+520W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Seasonic M-12 700W
Specs: http://www.seasonicusa.com/m12.htm
From $ Froogle has no listings as of 10-18-06

Seasonic M-12 600W
Specs: http://www.seasonicusa.com/m12.htm
From $ Froogle has no listings as of 10-18-06

Seasonic M-12 500W
Specs: http://www.seasonicusa.com/m12.htm
From $ Froogle has no listings as of 10-18-06

SilverStone Strider ST75F 750W
Max Combined +12V@54A
Specs: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-75f.htm
From $137: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q...ST75F+750W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

SilverStone Strider ST60F 600W
Max Combined +12V@42A
Specs: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-60f.htm
From $109: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q...ST60F+600W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Enhance ENS-0560G 600W
Specs: http://gamegiants.net/redirect.php?...n.pdf&osCsid=21790754ec2a1b7e9285d23edc244074
From $114: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Enhance+ENS-0560G+600W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Thermaltake ToughPower (w0116) 750W
Up to Max Combined +12V@60A
Specs: http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0116/w0116.asp
From $178: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?s...005-18,HPIC:en&q=w0116&lmode=online&scoring=p

Antec Neo HE 550W
Up to +12V@42A
Specs: http://www.antec.com/specs/NeoHE550_spe.html
From $96: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Antec+Neo+HE+550W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Antec Neo HE 500W (Best Bang for the Buck!)
Up to +12V@38A
Specs: http://www.antec.com/specs/NeoHE500_spe.html
From $79: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Antec+Neo+HE+500W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Antec Neo HE 430W (Non-SLI/CF Only)
Specs: http://www.antec.com/specs/NeoHE430_spe.html
From $66: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Antec+Neo+HE+430W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Antec Neo HE 380W (Low to Mid-Range Only)
Specs: http://www.antec.com/specs/NeoHE380_spe.html
From $50: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Antec+Neo+HE+380W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Enermax Liberty 620W
Max Combined +12V@36A
Specs: http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/p...id=82&osCsid=238e5a6cdfe88612fd79c81372f3719d
From $146: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?s...q=Enermax+Liberty+620W&lmode=online&scoring=p

Enermax Liberty 500W
Max Combined +12V@32A
Specs: http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_45&products_id=83
From $96: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Enermax+Liberty+500W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Enermax Liberty 400W (Non-SLI/CF Only)
Max Combined +12V@30A
Specs: http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_45&products_id=81
From $66: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Enermax+Liberty+400W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Mushkin XP-650W
Max Combined +12V@44A
Specs: http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/power_supply/xp-650.asp
From $187 http://froogle.google.com/froogle?s...IC:en&q=Mushkin+XP+650&lmode=online&scoring=p

Mushkin HP-550W (Low to Mid-Range Only)
Max Combined +12V@28A
Specs: http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/power_supply/hp-550.asp
From $78: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?s...HPIC:en&q=Mushkin+550W&lmode=online&scoring=p

Hiper Type R 730W (Special Server Based Modular)
Up to Max Combined +12V@56A
Specs: http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4s730.html
From $ Froogle has no listings as of 10-18-06

Hiper Type R 580W
Max Combined +12V@30A
Specs: http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4k580.html
From $95: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Hiper+Type+R+580W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Hiper Type R 530W (Non-SLI/CF Only)
Max Combined +12V@28A
Specs: http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4k530.html
From $47: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Hiper+Type+R+530W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Hiper Type R 480W (Non-SLI/CF Only)
Max Combined +12V@29A
Specs: http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4s480.html
From $ Froogle has no listings as of 10-18-06

Sunbeamtech NUUO 550W
Max Combined +12V@30A
Specs: http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/Power-supply/NUUO/nuuo-550.htm
From $70: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Sunbeamtech+NUUO+550W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Sunbeamtech NUUO 450W (Low to Mid-Range Only)
Max Combined +12V@26A
Specs: http://www.sunbeamtech.com/index-2.html
From $ Froogle has no listings as of 10-18-06

OCZ EvoStream 600W (New, No reviews yet)
Specs: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_evostream_power_supply
From $169: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=OCZ+EvoStream+600W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

OCZ ModStream 520W (Non-SLI/CF Only)
+12V@28A
Specs: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_modstream_power_supply
From $80: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=OCZ+ModStream+520W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

OCZ ModStream 450W (Low to Mid-Range Only)
+12V@26A
Specs: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_modstream_power_supply
From $72: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=OCZ+ModStream+450W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Ultra X2 550W (Low to Mid-Range Only)
Specs: http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=52&pPath=407&productID=407
From $77: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Ultra+X2+550W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

Ultra XVS 700W
Specs: http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=52&pPath=510&productID=525
From $ Froogle has no listings as of 10-18-06

Ultra XVS 600W (Non-SLI/CF Only)
Specs: http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=52&pPath=510&productID=512
From $70: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=XVS+600W&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p

In my opinion the Antec Neo HE 500W for about $80 represents by far the best value. :thumbup:

The Antec SP-500 has been removed due to quality control problems.

Full details, specs, links, reviews, explinations & advice here: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=136602

Good Luck
Dave ;) :)

Updated 10-22-06

Please give me some more input, questions, suggestions & recommendations!
 
Is the mushkin 550 really THAT bad? How does it compare to the Sunbeam NUUO 550? Can a company like sunbeam really have a superior product?
 
Well the 650 and 550 are very different units, no? So how the 650 performs really doesnt reflect the 550. I see the review but its hard to compare, and i dont know what the hell those ripple graphs are saying :p
 
Dillusion said:
Well the 650 and 550 are very different units, no? So how the 650 performs really doesnt reflect the 550. I see the review but its hard to compare, and i dont know what the hell those ripple graphs are saying :p
Very different units.

The 650W has 4x +12V rails & is designed for highend SLI/CF.

The 550W was designed for entry level, low to mid-range systems,
I'm sure as long as the standard 20% or more over-head is allowed for, it will be fine in mid-range systems. ;)
 
Jerry said:
Wow, I paid 70 bucks more for my ST75F than needed. Damn =(
A lot of people just assume that new egg has low prices, sometimes they are the highest!

One of the many reasons I'm now using Froogle for pricing in all of the guides. ;)
 
Naw, I bought mine right when it came out from sundialmicro.com. All prices I'd checked via google were >200, and I figured it'd be up there a while anyway cause the HX620W price was pretty stable. Doh!
 
What's wrong with the Enermax Liberty? I wouldn't list the OCZ Modstream there either..
 
_Korruption_ said:
What's wrong with the Enermax Liberty? I wouldn't list the OCZ Modstream there either..
The Liberty's are "up in the air" right now, as they had a bad run about a month ago & I'm just waiting for those to be sold.

The ModStreams are "no problem" PSU's when used on mid-range systems as recommended.
 
I'm sure the Modstreams are fine PSUs, but I just think they're really dated for today's demands.

What about XClio? Thermaltake's Toughpowers are built by CWT minus Fuhjyyu, so is it safe to assume that XClio is similar?
 
_Korruption_ said:
I'm sure the Modstreams are fine PSUs, but I just think they're really dated for today's demands.

What about XClio? Thermaltake's Toughpowers are built by CWT minus Fuhjyyu, so is it safe to assume that XClio is similar?
Dated, yes & I believe OCZ is going to drop them pretty soon.

I have tested the XCilo 400W & 450W, both were fine PSU's, the 450W being much better.

XCilo uses these caps in thier lower-end units, however the fan runs fast enough that heat build up is not a problem.

I have heard that their highend "Great Power" PSU's are about the same as the TT ToughPowers, however I can not confirm this.
 
I think:

-Enermax Liberty is too low
-Ultra XVS is too low
-Mushkin is too high
-Hiper is too high
-X2 should be before the Modstream

But when was the last time you took one of my posts with any importance? Hmmmm
 
pekingu said:
Zalman new Modular 600w psu ZM600-HP

ZM600-HP is ultra-quiet power supply complies with ATX12V Version 2.2, and supports the lastest dual-core CPUs(Intel Core2 series/AMD Athlon64-X2 series), as well as the lastest dual graphic card systems(SLI).

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=223&code=015

davidhammock200 add it to the list and give your opinion and fell free to discuss in this thread

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030123031#post1030123031
We need to see some reviews & pricing before it gets added, but it shows promise. ;)
 
davidhammock200 said:
We need to see some reviews & pricing before it gets added, but it shows promise. ;)

True. I often wonder why OCZ didn't just take the Epsilon and slap a modular interface on it to make their new modular PSU.
 
jonnyGURU said:
True. I often wonder why OCZ didn't just take the Epsilon and slap a modular interface on it to make their new modular PSU.
I think you will find out when you finish your current review. ;)
 
davidhammock200 said:
I think you will find out when you finish your current review. ;)

Larger, louder and less efficient?

I don't get it.

Oh... virtually no ripple? Ok. ;)
 
Can't believe no one has posted here....

Great start and makes it easier to search modular supplies.


The NEo he 550 is on sale at FRY's.

The Ultra 550w modular is LOUD the moment it starts to get warm.
 
I have Xclio Greatpower 600W (CWT). Aside from being the loudest thing in the pc when its hot its extremely stable.

Have it loaded up with C2D E6600 @ 3.6, 1900XT oc'd past XTX, 3 120mm fans, G.Skill HZ upto 2.3V, 2x320gb sata hds in matrix raid, optical, card reader, pci wifi, etc

All of the rails are at least .125V about thier reference (12.2V etc)

There is a bit of VCore droop, but I'm sure thats a P5B-Deluxe problem.


I want to cut a little down on the noise but its a GREAT psu so far.
 
just curious.....but if price was not a factor...

would you be ranking the M12 700watts over the Corsair 620 watter?
 
Cliff Couser said:
just curious.....but if price was not a factor...

would you be ranking the M12 700watts over the Corsair 620 watter?

I'm also wondering about this. :)
 
I believe some of the newer Antec 500 smarts are different than the older ones. The new ones have a 4pin connected to a 8pin. I can't say for sure but they might be different and have resolved the issue... NOT 100% but maybe. This one also deosn't seem to push as much hot air out as the other.
 
MC FLMJIG said:
I believe some of the newer Antec 500 smarts are different than the older ones. The new ones have a 4pin connected to a 8pin. I can't say for sure but they might be different and have resolved the issue... NOT 100% but maybe. This one also deosn't seem to push as much hot air out as the other.

can anyone comment on this?
 
I don't think that was the original problem. I don't even know what the original problem was. I am guessing it is the Fuhjyyu capacitor syndrome, but that's what I would think.
 
They originally had some cap problems after a certain amount of time. They opened a few of them and the caps were "fat" and ready to explode!!!

I had an older one but didn't liek the heat it pumped out and sold it...
I then bought a newer one recently and it was a tad different than the older one. It also pumped out cooler air so I'm figuring the caps would last longer... again not 100% certain.
 
Back
Top