Modular PS

sdgserv

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been reading as much as my eyeballs will let me. I am building a new sys.

I will probably go with the new boards 680i, not sure which one yet.
Nvidia 8800GT
Intel X6800, got a decent deal on one, wk 36
WD Raptor 150
Probably mess around with a SCSI Hard Drive
DVD/CD burner
2X120mm cases fans

Anyway I wanted a good Modular PS. around 580w to 600w. Been looking at Corsair and of course OCZ. I have been using a HYper type R 580w on this sys. for a bout 3 months. Not bad but I know there are better. Any recommedations would be great. Below $200. I noticed the some PS are really built by other manufactures. I don't know how much that plays into the build quality. No problem with that.

thanks

You probably also will want to look at the Silverstone ST75F along with the Corsair. I would skip the OCZ for now.

That's a great PSU. Just out of curiousity, what was wrong with the Hiper Type R, I wanted to buy one of those for my new build.

onetwenty8k said:
That's a great PSU. Just out of curiousity, what was wrong with the Hiper Type R, I wanted to buy one of those for my new build.
Nothing wrong with the Hiper. I still use it with one of my comps. Holds the volts since day one. I would recomend it for all types of builds.

I wanted a PS that would handle 2 vid cards..and its big

Is that the one that is 580 watts and only has 380 on the 12v? If it is it really isn't that good of a PSU. It's more for bling than anything else. You can do MUCH better for the price. If it is that one we're speaking of.

I'm loving my NeoHE550W. It's got over 500W on the 12V line. Costs in the $100'ish range often.
Another option is the SilverStone sale at DeadEye right now, probably set you back some $125 or so for a 600-650W model.

i have to send back the Corsair HX620W powersupply i just bought, none of the modular connecters work, can't power VGA card, HDD's, Opticals.

MC FLMJIG said:
Is that the one that is 580 watts and only has 380 on the 12v? If it is it really isn't that good of a PSU. It's more for bling than anything else. You can do MUCH better for the price. If it is that one we're speaking of.
Are you speaking of the Hiper? If so you are probably right. I use it for the Bling and to test it out..Has run without any problems for about 2 months. Easy to install and the modular is ok..One of the first. Better ones have come along since. Just like everything else in the comp. world. And they will get better.....

Kherozene said:
i have to send back the Corsair HX620W powersupply i just bought, none of the modular connecters work, can't power VGA card, HDD's, Opticals.

I'm sorry you had a problem with it, but that's very strange. I know we are currently testing each PSU before we ship them out, but we have had a couple slip through the cracks. Did you RMA it to us? Or did you send it back to the retailer.

If you sent it back to the retailer, would you mind telling me which one? I'd like to get a look at this power supply when the retailer RMAs it back to us.

Also, I've noticed you posted this twice. If you have a problem with our product, would you mind PMing me directly and not posting it in a bunch of different threads? I would like a chance to correct any problems like this as a company before the product gets a reputation that it doesn't deserve. As far as I know, you're the first person with this problem.

Thanks.

Sorry but i don't mean to ruin your reputation,what i am saying is that i think this is more of the whole modular design in general being not as solid as non-modular PSU's. The retailer i will be sending it back to will be an Australian online store called AusPCMarket.

In general i think the Corsair product had impressed me quite a fair bit, being quiet, well designed, but i managed to be one of the unlucky ones to get a DOA.

Thanks for your concern.

Kherozene said:
Sorry but i don't mean to ruin your reputation,what i am saying is that i think this is more of the whole modular design in general being not as solid as non-modular PSU's.

In general i think the Corsair product had impressed me quite a fair bit, being quiet, well designed, but i managed to be one of the unlucky ones to get a DOA.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe you need to describe the problem better.

What's your build? What are your symptoms? What does the fact that the PSU is modular have to do with anything if the unit is "DOA."

The PSU is either DOA or it's not. Either it puts out power or it doesn't. But what would that have to do with whether it's modular or not?

Your posts are too incomplete and void of information to actually make sense. I don't mean to offend, but they almost sound like FUD from an OZ PCP&C reseller. ;)

the difference between Modular and non-modular in my circumstance is that my non-modular rails do indeed work (atx, 4 pin, 8 pin) but it is the modular rails which don't. no i am not a reseller :rolleyes: just a PC enthusiast :)

Kherozene said:
the difference between Modular and non-modular in my circumstance is that my non-modular rails do indeed work (atx, 4 pin, 8 pin) but it is the modular rails which don't. no i am not a reseller :rolleyes: just a PC enthusiast :)

Sounds like a loose connector or PCB or something inside the power supply. I guess modular power supplies do have that one extra point of failure, but the likelihood is still pretty slim. I've used a few of them before and had no real problems.

exactly they have that tiny extra point of failure, i reallylike the modular concept with tiday cables and all as i may be running dual HX620w's when the need for more power arises, perhaps when i get either dual r600's or r700's when they come out being more power hungry

Back