Modular or not?

Candell

n00b
I've read somewhere that modular PSUs weren't as efficient as non-modular ones.
Are they worth getting over non-modular ones?

What you've read is probably PC Power & Coolings FUD page. (Or information taken from said page).

Modular PSUs are no less or no more efficient than ones with fixed cables. Anyways, there's no real reason -not- to get one. I only use modular PSUs and I'm just happy with them.

Considering the fact that most 80Plus Gold-rated PSUs are modular, I think it's pretty evident that that claim is inaccurate. Modular PSUs are no less efficient than non-modular ones.

Last edited:
There is no difference, well except in price. Modular ones tend to be more expensive, but it really comes down to preference.

Modular unless you can't afford it. Simply less cables to deal with, and less clutter in your box. No other differences AFAIK.

I really like my modular PSU. No issues at all, and it sure did make the computer building process and cable management easier.

I would probably go with a modular unit myself if they weren't about $30-40 more expensive.

Modular is the way to go, especially if you're buying a top end unit and are willing to spend some money. In fact I'd say most of the highly rated units are now modular with a few exceptions. You won't find many new good psu's that aren't modular out there. That's just where the market is headed right now and when you're paying a premium for a high performance psu, they might as well make it a modular unit and attractive to buyers.

Ever since I use a modular PSU, I can't go back to non-modular ones.

In terms of cable management, it makes life so much easier as you won't have a bunch of unused cables lying around in your casing.

As others mentioned, you should try to get a modular one

+1, my antec 900 has awful cable management, if I didn't have a modular psu the bottom of my case would most likely be a rats nest. I also tried a blend modular/non-modular with the antec TP 750w. It has the 24pin, 4 & 8 pin cpu, two 6-pin pci-e, sata and molex cables hardwired, then you have more cables you can add. Since that is almost exactly what most people use (although i wish they scrapped having two seperate 4/8pin cables) it's perfect. If you have more peripherals (fans, hds, etc) you can plug in the modular cables.

There is no doubt that compared to hard wiring, added connectors add resistance to path, which maybe compensated by heavier wires. Just how much depends on the specs of the connector and durability. (i.e. SATA internal connectors vs eSATA connector. Latter is expected to have MUCH more durability than former as per trade group specs). Internal connectors only have durability requirement of something in two figures.

Unless stated specifically, it is not clear how many insertion cycles modular connectors will endure before deteriorating by increased contact resistance

As much as I like my PC P&C I plan on going modular next time. I want a smaller case like the LIAN LI PC-A05NB and modular makes it much easier. Personally I don't believe the hype about 80mm fans and non-modular cables being the only answer although I do think the build quality is great.

If it's a main machine build I agree that modular is the way to go. I only wish that some of the manufacturers would offer the option to get different length cables -- even aftermarket is fine...

I did use a non-modular one for my WHS...

Theres a good article here about the resistance of Modular PSUs : http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1488_1.html

I've been googling about it coz I am thinking of Q1 2010 upgrade to Phenom II 945, 5850 and a 1TB HDD so that means I need a new PSU over my current 500w FSP BlueStorm II. Since i will be having that much component anyway (4xHDD, 2xDVD, 5850 w 2xPCIe), I decided to go for non-modular.

In conclusion I think it depends on how much component you have or how much connector you're going to use... and perhaps whether your case has side panel or not :D

I migrated from a PCP&C 750W to an Antec TPQ-1200W modular. The new PSU is working great so I think high end modular PSUs are probably just as good as non-modular ones.

plus, many of the higher quality brands sell 'em with modular cables, so you could argue that you're paying a bit more for a quality PSU and the modulars come free :D

I don't think PC P&C is the kind of company to spread FUD so there may be something to what they say. What I read them say is something about non modular having greater electrical signal integrity or something along that line and nothing about efficiency between the two. I buy non modular Seasonic but only because I'm not paying more for the little added convenience of modular cables.

I don't think PC P&C is the kind of company to spread FUD so there may be something to what they say. What I read them say is something about non modular having greater electrical signal integrity or something along that line and nothing about efficiency between the two. I buy non modular Seasonic but only because I'm not paying more for the little added convenience of modular cables.
The concern over modular cables is that the extra connectors create an added voltage drop in the line. While this does have some merit to it, the claim that PCP&C makes (that the drop is equal to that in two feet of wire) is totally false, and this has been proven through testing. Also, most high-end power supplies are modular, and those units also have market-leading voltage regulation, so it's fairly evident that modular cables are not a concern at all. Seasonic is the OEM that manufactures most of PCP&C's PSUs, and their best units are all modular, and outperform the specific models used by PCP&C.

Seasonic only manufacture the Silent series for PC P&C (I have a 470w one in my XP PC) but you are right about what their claim was so thanks for reminding me.

I bought Seasonic S12-850 for only $129.99 CAD recently and the M12-850 is about $200.00 CAD. The two PSUs are the same except M12 has modular cables. I would say I made the better choice by saving $70.00 by foregoing modular capability but that is user opinion only.

Seasonic only manufacture the Silent series for PC P&C (I have a 470w one in my XP PC) but you are right about what their claim was so thanks for reminding me.
The Silencer series does include most of their PSUs, especially since production on the Turbo-cool line was stopped quite some time ago. It seems that they've discontinued their entire lineup since and are rumoured to be introducing new PSUs in the near future, but for a time, all the new units being produced for PCP&C were Seasonic.

Back