• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Modular OCZ powerstreams any good?

TheLonelySwedish

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 27, 2004
Messages
281
I've got to get rid of this no name 420 watt psu, as it can't handle my newly upgraded setup, much less the vapochill i'm about to install. I'm really interested in a modular setup, and heard the OCZ powerstreams are good. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

Thanks
 
Powerstreams are good supplies (based of the Topower P6s series with extra options)
but rumor has it the Modstreams arent as good as the Powerstreams

Now OCZ is a rather secretive organization when it comes to specs
so it might be quite awhile till the exact differences are known
Its safe to assume the Modstream meets basic compliance
and its known the Powerstreram exceeds the basic spec

meaning do you need a supply that exceeds spec?
 
lower 12v amperage rating of the modstream

which unforunatly has most ocers staying away from them

i had the opurtunity to use the 500watt powerstream model for a couple of days in a system i built for a friend and damn that thing never undervolted. always ~ +3% on the 12v line.

Btw this system had a p4 560 in it OC'd(although i cant remember what i got too, it wasnt fantastic) and a Radeon x800xt (i was real jealous of that too). 2x WD 36gb 10,000 rpm and 2 x WD 250gb so thats a fairly large power draw
 
i was planning on buying this power supply for my system... I do OC (2500+ @ 200x11) Do you think I will run into problems with this psu?
 
The 450w ModStream is still rated at 26A 12V rail. That's still pretty damn good for most systems. Say some good OC'ing in Athlon64, 2-3 HDDs, 6800GT video card. There should be no issues doing all that, assuming it's true to that voltage. I'd like to think it would be as well. The spec sheet does not indicate the regulation percentages

The smallest 420w PowerStream is rated at 30A for a comparison with 1% regulation on the 12V.

The 520w ModStream is rated at 28A 12V, FYI.
 
I'm going to be running a vapo and a A64 system w/ a 6800 and 3 hard drives, so i guess i will need a PSU that exceeds spec. Are there any modular PSU's out there that are actually good?
 
well what is the draw of that Vapo
its on its own AC? or off the PSU?

IMO the Antec Neopower is the best modular out there right now
 
The vapo runs off the 12v rail, and it's a PE that's been regassed with r404a, not sure of the draw exactly, i'd have to check the manual, but I imagine it's fairly sizeable.
 
that would be a reasonable assumption
the other thing you should consider is that in a house circuit
its the voltage fluctuation from your refigerator that causes most surges and brownouts
as that compressor kicks on and off
Id seriously consider running that off a different synchd Power Supply

1. Hardwired
2. With a relay

think the relay would be better and the PSU powering the compressor on a different house circuit as well (or UPS)

Id research the actual amp draw, I dont have much information on those either
but consider that supplies are rated with a load regulation based on a return to the reference voltage in less than 1ms for a 20% load change
if the compressor is always on its a static draw
but if not, then as a dynamic draw it could exceed that 20% senerio
 
let me rephrase that
I think the Neopower is the best stock modular supply out there :p

and bulkhead connections as opposed to untailed harnesses could be another distinction

The 510 is a superior supply and from what I understand performance-pc does a good job on all the various supplies it converts and sleeves, but that is more of an after market service that with a few tools and molex connectors you could do too
 
So in any case I'll need a pretty beefy PS. If I wanted to get a PS for my pc and use my current PS to power the vapo, would you reccomend a True Power 550 or a Pc&P 510 express? (I could get the TP for 85 or the PCP for 150 through the FS forums)
 
TheLonelySwedish said:
So in any case I'll need a pretty beefy PS. If I wanted to get a PS for my pc and use my current PS to power the vapo, would you reccomend a True Power 550 or a Pc&P 510 express? (I could get the TP for 85 or the PCP for 150 through the FS forums)

where can you get a PCP&C PCI-E for 150?! :eek:
 
Back
Top